On Feb 15, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Brendan Eich [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 12:41 PM
...
It would be nice to have some concrete examples to backup the
assertions in the first quote above. Does anyone know of actual use
cases or concrete examples where users have exploited this
capability in interesting ways.

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/js/narcissus/jsexec.js#666
http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/js/narcissus/jsexec.js#869

Interesting, but not actually what I was asking about. Unless I'm missing something, in both these cases "array index" named properties are being defined on regular objects, not instances of Array and nothing discussed in this thread so for would interfere with that.

Oh, right -- hence the curses in those comments of mine.

I'll keep looking, but I don't know if I'll find the __define[GS]etter__ usage you seek. If I'm forced in this little debate to fall back on general principles, I'll stand with Mark and oppose any non-virtualizability for Array elements. That still smells wrong.


What I was asking looking for was example of using "array index" named properties with actual array instances.

Some implementations, notably v8, generalize their optimizations for "array index" named properties over all objects, not just Array instances.

/be
_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to