On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

> I think it should matter. The vendors should be asked to give a reason
> that makes technical sense. That this option "could not be implemented
> in a high-performance manner" does not make sense -- which means that it
> is quite possible that the vendors were asked the wrong question, or had
> some misunderstanding about how such a specification could be
> implemented.

I don't believe there was any misunderstanding, but regardless: if you are
able to convince the implementors to implement something other than what
is currently specced in HTML5, I'm very happy to change the spec to
require that instead. I don't really mind how this works, I just want to
make sure the spec is clear on what is required and that the spec matches
what actually gets implemented, and ideally I would like it to not
contradict the ES specs as it unfortunately does now.