Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:
>> Ian Hickson wrote:

>>> Opera, Apple, and Mozilla. The HTML5 spec originally specced what IE
>>> does, namely throw an exception when running code whose global object
>>> doesn't match the current Window object, but Opera, Apple, and Mozilla
>>> rejected this on the grounds that it could not be implemented in a
>>> high-performance manner.
>>
>> That is clearly false. It would be a single pointer comparison when
>> entering a new context.
>>
>> I make no comment here on whether this behaviour would be a good idea on
>> other criteria, just that rejecting it on performance grounds is absurd.
>
> To be honest it doesn't really matter to me what the reason is -- if three
> browser vendors tell me they're not implementing the spec, I change the
> spec. My goal is to have a specification that browser vendors implement.

I think it should matter. The vendors should be asked to give a reason
that makes technical sense. That this option "could not be implemented in
a high-performance manner" does not make sense -- which means that it is
quite possible that the vendors were asked the wrong question, or had some
misunderstanding about how such a specification could be implemented.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood