Perhaps I am overly fatalistic here, but if we don't specify an iteration order 
I think the web will just go and specify it for us, as it has for object 
property iteration order.  We can bet against history repeating itself if we 
wish.

On Feb 14, 2012, at 7:13 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:
>> Mark Miller is holding up the argument for determinism really well.
>> I'm not sure anyone disagrees with his points. We should look into
>> deterministic data structures and measure the performance.
> 
> Agreed.


*nod.

On Feb 13, 2012, at 6:03 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:
> Before getting too deep into iteration protocol for Sets (and Maps) there is 
> a more fundamental issues:  Will Set define a standard, implementation 
> independent ordering of elements? If so, what is the basis for the ordering?
> 
> Yes. Insertion order.

Mark,

Do you think we want strict insertion order, including for numeric index 
properties?  I guess I'm thinking the obvious here ( 
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:enumeration ), but it would 
seem a simplest for users if there were a single story for iteration order.

cheers,
G.



_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to