On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:41 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Gavin Barraclough <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
> [...]
> Mark,
> 
> Do you think we want strict insertion order, including for numeric index 
> properties?  I guess I'm thinking the obvious here ( 
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:enumeration ), but it would 
> seem a simplest for users if there were a single story for iteration order.
> 
> Great question. I hadn't thought about that in this context, but I do find it 
> attractive. Ironically, this might be less efficient than pure insertion 
> order. But worrying about that too early without measurement or evidence 
> would again be premature. It also accommodates Allen's specialized collection 
> as simply a degenerate case. Cool. 
> 

I think we need to be clear what we are talking about here.  The title of this 
thread is "Set iterators" and the ordering discussion started in the context of 
iterator order for the default Set iterator.   The issue of iterating "numeric 
indexed properties" doesn't arise for the default Set iterator.

The numeric indexed properties questions only arises where we are talking about 
the default iterator for plain vanilla objects which iterates over properties.  

In general, objects can provide their own default iterator and defining the 
scope and order of iteration should be part of defining any object based 
abstraction.  Iteration needs to make sense in terms of the abstraction. The 
specific choices about iteration made for Sets, Maps, or plain vanilla objects 
shouldn't be biasing the iteration design of other abstractions.  

Allen


_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to