On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.org> wrote:
> Dean Landolt wrote:
>>
>> Does it /have/ to be ascii?
>

> Does it have to be grawlix? I proposed
>
>  let sub = sup beget {p:1, q:2, r:3};

The problem with <| and friends is that the common mental association
with these symbols do not describe the operation. That is also true
for 'beget'.   |sup| begets |sub|, not {p:1, q:2, r:3};

The operator needs to be mentally associated with the formation of a
compound object from parts:
   let sub = sup joins {p:1, q:2, r:3};
   let sub = sup backs {p:1, q:2, r:3};  // as in table-lookup
   let sub = sub with {p:1, q:2, r:3};     // I heard this one was unemployed
   let sub = sup injected-into {p:1, q:2, r:3};
If we agreed to call the operator something like "injected-into", then
suddenly the arrow starts to make sense.

jjb

> a while back, and we discussed alternative contextual keywords. Grawlix
> appears to result in (a) strong anti-grawlix reaction from a good part of
> the community; (b) no consensus on which cuss-characters to use.

I'm not a fan of funky syntax, but I think a bigger problem in this
particular case is our inability to articulate the operation being
discussed in a short phrase. Recall we discussed this before and tried
out "setPrototypeOf" etc. Nothing stuck. That's why the cuss words are
easy ;-)