T.J. Crowder wrote:
On 14 June 2012 19:01, Brendan Eich <bren...@mozilla.com <mailto:bren...@mozilla.com>> wrote:

    The users who want null to be distinct from undefined are neither
    CoffeeScript users, nor || users (in their defaulting code). They
    must be doing === undefined test.

Not quite. I use || whenever I can in my defaulting code, and I can use it a lot (e.g., when the optional item must be an object). I only use the long-winded version if I have to because 0, "", false, or null is a valid possible value -- which is surprisingly rare. Hugely looking forward to using ?? uniformly instead, but it's not accurate to say that we who don't want undefined and null equated in this context are therefore not using ||.

Good point, when you are dealing with an object or variable that you "know" will be either undefined or a well-typed value, you can use ||. But how do you know what is a "possible value"?

Wes testified elsewhere that he had latent bugs. I suspect many APIs whose impls use || do.