On 28 September 2012 03:30, Bill Frantz <[email protected]> wrote: > (BTW - > I know of no completely specified languages, or other computer system > components for that matter, but the closer the specification comes to being > complete, the better).
Off-topic, but I can't resist pointing out here that (Standard) ML is a fairly sophisticated general purpose language that not only has had a complete, formal specification for 2 decades [1], it even has a fully machine-verified proof of correctness and type safety [2]. I also know of at least 3 research projects working on a mechanised formalisation of JavaScript. That is to say that thoroughly specifying and formalising languages is no longer rocket science (while mechanising them admittedly is). That said, the ES spec, while ugly as an aye-aye, is relatively thorough (and Allen is working on making it better). /Andreas [1] http://www.itu.dk/people/tofte/publ/1990sml/1990sml.html [2] http://repository.cmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1908&context=compsci _______________________________________________ es-discuss mailing list [email protected] https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

