Hi Marius,

I won't say the idea is bad, but what would be the benefit of this new type of function?

From experience on this list, if a new idea cannot prove to make a major difference with what currently exists, it is not considered to be added to the ES6 spec. The major difference can be in performance, security, language extensibility, programming idioms/conveniences, etc. Do you have reasons to think pure functions as you propose them make that big of an improvement as opposed to JS as it is?

David

Le 28/11/2012 12:50, Marius Gundersen a écrit :
Has there been any work done on pure functions in EcmaScript? The way I imagine it, there would be a way to indicate that a function should be pure (by using a symbol or a new keyword, although I understand new keywords aren't terribly popular). The pure function is not allowed to access any variable outside its own scope. Any access to a variable outside the scope of the function would result in a Reference Error, with an indication that the reference attempt was made from a pure function. This also applies to any function called from within the pure function. The entire stack of a pure function must be pure. This also means the pure function cannot access the [this] object. Only the parameters passed to the function can be used in the calculation.

The syntax could be something like this (the @ indicates that it is pure):

function sum@(a, b){
  return a+b;
}