I didn't get a direct response to my question about mutating proto on objects
which don't inherit from Object.prototype, but I'm inferring from [1] that it
won't be possible.  I find this unfortunate, but I realize this issue has seen
a lot of discussion in the past and there are reasons for the current decision.
 I will see how I can make my code cope with reality.

Nathan