I don't understand where is the problem ... any library that uses __proto__
can and should be updated with a shim waiting for next version of JS to
support it.

Object.setPrototypeOf = function (object, proto) {
  object.__proto__ = proto;
  return object;
};

That does not look bad at all to me, educate developers out there that
__proto__ is harmful and forbidden 'cause saying "we can't do much is
already used" doesn't mean is OK to use it, same as polluting
Object.prototype, still possible, nobody does it (not in an old fashioned
way at least)

Best Regards