Brendan Eich wrote:
My perspective is that reasoning about `==`, and even to some extent `typeof`, is not that important, since they are both "broken."

Let's cut this thread mercifully short. Language designers tending ECMA-262 cannot turn such a blind eye, period, full stop.

It's fine if users subset. This relates to my point about users "mostly" ignoring primitives vs. wrappers.

However, you have the burden of proof backwards on TC39 chucking invariants. Dave Herman has written about this before and reminded me to make this point crystal clear. Show why we should ditch the invariant. Otherwise we keep it.

And practically speaking, with typeof-type extensions on the table, and typeof-result being a string used to enable == not ===, we need this one.