When I started investigating this I had the hope that stack could be
standardized. However, the format of the string is cannot be changed
without breaking the web so the way forward is to introduce a new property
name. But since we are introducing a new property name we should return
structured data instead of a plain old string.

I haven't had the time to work on this since my initial analysis of the
state of the stack property.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM, John Barton <johnjbar...@google.com> wrote:

> Note that in Chrome the devtools are remote and error.stack is a getter
> which issues a remote method call to the backend.  Only when the stack
> property is accessed will the internal representation be converted to a
> string. Anything else is too expensive.
>
> A plain JS object format would be much more useful for development tools
> developers.
>
> jjb

erik