This is not helping ... yeah, apples-to-orange, as you wish .. now to
imagine you have a flexible understanding of the issue and the example I
was proposing so that:

if (stuff) {
  const WHATEVER = 1;
} else {
  const WHATEVER = 2;
}

two blocks, one const assigned with possibly only one value

Now tell me again how this works in C ...