then you could go like this ?

```javascript
function ifPresent(o, nmsp, dflt) {
  var r = nmsp.split('.').reduce(ifPresent.$, o);
  return r == null ? dflt : r;
}
ifPresent.$ = function (p, c) {
  return p ? p[c] : undefined;
};

var a = {
  b: {
    c: {
      d: 123
};

ifPresent(a, 'b.c.d', 456); // 123
```

FWIW I think having silent failures all over is not desirable so I'd like
to know what's the concrete claimed need for this, if that's possible.
(I've only read there's a need but I don't find the rationale)

Take care