There are also a lot of coders working in JavaScript (see
http://githut.info/), and JavaScript can also be used as a backend (see
node.js). So why shouldn't Java become a subset of JavaScript?

The ES design makes it very clear to not "break the web". That means that
any code working today, should also work tomorrow. As such, removing
prototypes (which are clearly more flexible than Java classes) or removing
the generic number class (instead of int, float, double, ...) or removing
other things Java doesn't have or Java does differently, isn't an option at
all.

Regards,
Sander