I'm not experienced in async/await enough to know what "using async
functions to process [streams]" would look like.

You would have to create a new promise for every iteration?  Even if
performance isn't an issue, it just doesn't make sense to me.  It's like,
you could use `obj.value = "my string"` instead of `var myString = "my
string"`, and it will work.  And the performance difference is negligible.
But, it just doesn't make as much sense...

*Branching vs Mutation*
The point you bring up regarding "branching the stream into multiple
outputs" is another fundamental concept in programming (that I'm still
trying to wrap my head around).  Basically, does an operation (aka a
method) operate on the original data, or fork/branch, preserving the
original, and creating a clone to apply the transform to.

For example, arr.push() manipulates (mutates) the original array, but
arr.slice() branches, giving you a brand new array, leaving the underlying
array untouched (immutable).

This has always been an area of confusion for me.  Which methods are
mutators, and which are immutable?

*Async Strings*
An interesting away to look at all this async stuff, is to consider
strings, and their operations (methods), in an asynchronous way.  How can a
string be asynchronous?  Just let it change over time, and broadcast change
events.

What if you compose a string with several pieces:
 asyncParentStr.append(asyncStrA, asyncStrB, asyncStrC).

Each asyncString can have change events, and will propagate changes to
anyone depending on it.   asyncStrB.set("new value") will trigger
asyncParentStr.change() event.

I feel like this is fundamental functionality that is lacking from
JavaScript.  Now that we have `const`, shouldn't `var` automatically set up
change events for that "var"?

*Async transforms*
But lets say we do asyncParentStr.append(asyncStrA,
asyncStrB.replace("hello", "goodbye"), asyncStrC).

Now we have the question: do we want this .replace() to be a "live"
transform?  When we asyncStrB.set("hello world"), does it re-apply the
replace?  I think there are many use cases for both: mutate the original
asyncStrB, so that all references to this value also exhibit the
transform.  And also the alternative, the immutable, branching kind of
transform, where you don't mutate the underlying value, and instead are
branching.

This concept is also the core concept of version control: do we continue
down the same path, or branch off?

*GUIs will prevail*
You can try and create different methods ( ._replace() vs .$replace() ) to
represent transform vs branching (I don't know which looks more like
which).  But, in the end, the GUI will prevail.  Artists can dream about
how to envision these version trees, and perfect the GUI/experience.  The
code interface just can't compete with GUI, in the long run.

I suppose, its necessarily true that the API preceeds the GUI.

API before GUI, but GUI all the things.  That's my new motto.

*What if variables were automatically async, and referential? *(As opposed
to `const` that could be the immutable flavor)
var str = "hello world";

str.replace("hello", "goodbye"); // transforms `str` var "in place"
log(str) // "goodbye world"

str = "hello cruel world"; // transform is reapplied
log(str) // "goodbye cruel world"

This will never happen, but it shows the fundamental difference in logic.
Both are logical/useful...