Thanks for reading my post down to the part that caught your attention.
Concerning this:

> engines can optimize for objects that are not referenced elsewhere by not
actually copying them, something harder to do with `Object.assign`.\*

I'm intrigued; please elaborate. I had thought that `{...a, ...b}` was 100%
identical in every way to `Object.assign({}, a, b)`.

> \* I don't know/believe if they do, but it's pretty easy to implement
with type info.

What kind of type info did you have in mind? Type info based on static
analysis currently performed and/or theoretically able to be performed by
engines against ECMAScript 20xx programs? In that case, why couldn't such
type inferencing be applied to optimizing the `Object.assign`-based
construct? Or do you mean type info from some kind of type annotation
system in the future?

Bob