Hi Jürgen,

On 02/13/2018 10:01 AM, Jürgen Walter • DATATRONiQ wrote:
I see- will get another Intel card (although compatible ones (kernel driver
e1000, e1000e) seem to be hard to come by these days) and try with anther
kernel driver.
I also did some tests with the EtherCAT master, Xenomai and different network
devices compatible with the ec_e1000e driver.
Test system was a Core-i5 (4th generation) with a Debian Wheezy  (Kernel 3.2)
with two slaves attached (Microship LAN9252 in simple Digital I/O mode). I
observed the following:

 *   even with the PREEMPT patch and the native driver ec_e1000e I could barely
achieve 2000Hz cycle rate without frame losses
 *   with Xenomai I could go over 10000Hz without a problem, but there are some
other issues with Xenomai:
    *   the EtherCAT master is not ready to use the newer Xenomai 3.x branch
and the Xenomai 2.x branch is not supported anymore
    *   I got some issues with long term stability on my test system (Kernel
panic) and decided not to use it on a productive system
    *   I would suggest you go for RTAI since you will also get far more help
from the EtherCAT community, I could barely find other people here who also use
Xenomai with the EtherCAT master
 *   while using Xenomai I observed, that there is also a huge difference
between different network chips:
    *   I initially used a card with an Intel 82572EI (introduced Q4'05) and
also tried a Dual port card with an Intel 82571EB (introduced Q3'05) which had
basically the same results on my test system
    *   the best results I got were achieved with an Intel 82574L (introduced
Q2'0)

I didn't try RTAI till now, but I think you will get the same or even better
results than I got with Xenomai.

The cards with Intel 82574L we got were sold as "Intel Gigabit CT Desktop
Adapter". The chip will be produced until 2020, so getting a card with it should be
no problem. Maybe this will help you.

Best regards,
Christoph

________________________________

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH

Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren e.V.

Aufsichtsrat: Vorsitzender Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher, stv. Vorsitzende Dr.
Jutta Koch-Unterseher
Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Bernd Rech (kommissarisch), Thomas Frederking

Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583

Postadresse:
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

http://www.helmholtz-berlin.de