On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 10:01:19AM -0700, ncammack wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
>I'm using Minicom to read my mail from EFN.  I like using it
>(as well as PINE) but I'm having a bit of trouble after
>logging off.  I log off of EFN and then CTRL Z to close
>Minicom.  When I try to use KPPP after this I'm getting a
>message that says "the modem is locked"  How do I "unlock"
>the modem???  I've also tried CTRL Q but that doesn't seem
>to work either.  Help!!!  I've looked @ the man pages and
>though they are helpful, the don't seem to address the
>locked modem situation.  Any suggestions are most
>appreciated!

It's been a while since i used Minicom, but i don't think CTRL-Z exits
minicom; it should send Mincom to the background and leave you with a prompt,
like this:
[1]+  Stopped                 minicom
 bash $

This is how you do multitasking on the command line; you could start up
another job, and minicom would still be running in the background.  The number
in the brackets is the job number, you would bring that job back to the
foreground by typing
fg %1
you can see a list of currently running jobs by typing the command
jobs

This is probably the reason the modem is locked; that background minicom session
is probably still controlling the modem.  CTRL-Q won't help, either; it sends
a signal to the terminal driver, rather than to Minicom (way back before
programs like less or more were written, you would scroll text on a
terminal with the signals CTRL-S and CTRL-Q.  Once in a while you will find
these fossils of the 70's in modern Unix; they stick around, partly from
nostalgia, partly because there are still a few uses for them).

I think the command you want to quit Minicom is CTRL-A q (hit CTRL-A, then hit
q); CTRL-A h should give a help menu.

--
 UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this
          IMPORTANT Information is ENCOURAGED, ESPECIALLY to COMPUTER