On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, David Mandel wrote:

> Has anyone written a Java (or other) X-server that will run from a
> web browser?

Yes.  Check out weirdx at http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx

Does exactly what you want... it's GPL and it works reasonably well.

> Webmin and other products have telnet clients that I can run from
> netscape.  VNC has support for veb viewing.
>
> Why not X?  Ok, this is significantly more difficult

It's not significantly more than VNC, VNC and X have a lot in common, and
XVNC viewers exist that do X windows based on VNC code (like a win32
version)

 - but this would
> make X applications available to all.  So, has anyone done this?

However, as I just posted to the VNC mailing list, you MUST keep in mind
that sniffers basically can do most anything, and encryption is REALLY
REALLY REALLT important.  I can sniff most protocols directly, and
reconstruct the entire session.  Lookup dsniff and vncrack for examples
of what can be done.  Imagine someone sniffing your web browsing session
and having every page you surf pop up on their browser also. (webspy)
Or every email you sent ending up in a mailbox on their system.
Every password you type, seen.  Etc.

Use SSH.  Use Zebedee.  Use PGP.  Use a condom.  Something.

Seth