Yes the 'r' services are running in inetd.conf.  There is nothing in
host.deny. Yes I want to enable this. I running this machine on internal
network and we are sitting behind a checkpoint firewall so attacks from
external sources are not a concern. Internal attacks I am not too concerned
with as most of the people smart enough to initiate an attack already have
access to this machine.  SSH is great but a rather large pain in the ass to
setup, so I want to avoid this. All of our unix workstations all use the
commands, so many scripts are already written to use these tools. Any other
ideas?

Garl

> Are the "r" services enabled in /etc/inetd.conf?  Are they blocked in
> /etc/hosts.deny?  Are you sure you want this gaping security hole, when
> you could be using ssh?
>
> --
> On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
> Mr.  Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
> answers come out?'  I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
> confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.--Charles Babbage

Garl R. Grigsby
Customer Applications Engineering - Analysis Team

Structural Dynamics Research Corporation      Phone: (800)242-7372
TAO Americas Support Center                   FAX: (541)342-8277
1750 Willow Creek Circle                      Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eugene, OR 97402                              Internet:  http://www.sdrc.com

-FEA makes a good engineer great, and a poor engineer dangerous-

PGP ID: 0xF2D845E7
PGP Fingerprint: 9C40 CB5E 1C51 CF58 E3F9  3F2C 8F1F F3EF F2D8 45E7