It ain't much warmer out here Wayne!

What I *normally* do is:

1) Check that there's a copy of the latest build in /boot, use the
date/time for reference. If not, copy or move from ~/linux/arch/i386/boot/
your new image. The files will be:

bzImage (make bzImage & make bzlilo)
zImage (make zImage)
vmlinuz (make & make install (I think!))

Then, edit /etc/lilo.conf and either add a new image section or point the
old section to the new file a la:

# LILO
# Start LILO global Section
boot=/dev/hda
#compact       # faster, but won't work on all systems.
read-only
prompt
timeout=100
vga = normal    # force sane state
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/bzImage
#image = /vmlinuz
root = /dev/hda1
label = Linux
# Linux bootable partition config ends
#

(image = /boot/bzImage is my new compressed kernel image)

Then run /sbin/lilo

lilo's output should be akin to:

added
*bzImage
foo

If you have more than one boot choice, the item marked with * will be the
default boot device.

If that fails or you have a dual-booter, try man lilo and the mini-HOWTO's.

Good luck OM

kg7fu

At 06:45 AM 11/17/2000, you wrote:
>                 Hello from the- nearly- frozen tundra of 9-land (Illinois
> to you non-hams).  I have a bit of a brag, and some questions.
>         I rebuilt the kernel on both my laptop and desktop systems
> between 22:00 central last night and 08:00 this morning.
>         The books I am using don't go past Redhat 5.2, and I'm running
> Linux-Mandrake 7.1, every book I'm using says to go in and modify
> /etc/lilo.conf.  How do I get into there to modify it?  I've been able to
> bring up that file, but have been unable to modify it.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>                 Oh and by the way have a great Thanksgiving!!!
>
>Sincerely and Respectfully Yours
>
>Wayne & Leader Dog Sequoia
>
>N9PSR FISTS #4409
>icq# 315313