On my laptop, I can put it to sleep and wake it up without any problems, while in X.
I'm using X 4.0.1  In fact, after talking with Bob, I now no longer shutdown my
laptop.  Instead I just put it in suspend by closing the lid.  When I need to use it,
the next day, at home at work, school, etc.. I just pop it open, and I'm ready to go.
No more booting!

As laptop troubles go, I was unable to switch resolutions with 3.3.6.  With 4.0.1, I
have access to 4 resolutions and can switch instantly.  In addition, the setup was a
breeze, no more modelines or frequencies.  X4 detected everything.

The only troubles I have had with sleeping are unrelated to X.  Three things: my
network card can't find the network until I either ifdown && ifup, or I try to use it,
and wait for it to get back on track.  My keyboard rate is slow, and my sound card
modules either unload, or don't work.

I fixed all of these things by modifying my apmd_proxy scripts (actually in Debian,
this is done by modifying some subscripts which apmd_proxy calls in /etc/apm).  My
script does an ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0, /etc/init.d/alsasound stop, alsasound start,
and kbdrate -r 30 -d 250.

Now when I open the lid, I instantly have network access, and a fast keyboard.  I
don't even notice the above things operating.  In fact, there is a nice moment of
peace immediately after I awaken my laptop.  I can work on it, and it is perfectly
silent.  Then a second or two later, my harddrive spins up.

Cory