MRO, I don't think you read what I wrote, either.

I had an X environment with fonts that were adequate.  My XF86Config-4
looked like this:

Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath  "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

I installed Abiword and it told me load a specific module:
Section "Module"
    Load  "type1"
EndSection

I also moved the 100dpi line above the 75dpi line.  This caused all of
my fonts that normally would be rendered at 75dpi to use some ugly and
larger 100dpi fonts.  I tried removing all of the fontpath lines and it
did restore my settings, however I discovered X has a default font path
with 75dpi before 100dpi.  I've now reconfigured both my xfs(x font
server) and the XF86Config file to support all of these fonts with 75dpi
first.  Next I setup an xfstt font server with some truetype fonts.  Now
I can view among other things, websites that are windows-centric
specifying windows fonts.

Cory