I'd suggest Digital 8mm format, if indeed you are looking for a
"camcorder" device as Kent mentions... pretty much any video device
which exports a DV format on a firewire device should be
linux-compatible.  Now I don't have any personal experience with linux
and firewire, but have read about how happy some folks have been with
using, say, RedHat 8.0 default install, and Cinelerra, was able to
interface with firewire without fussing (can you believe it??)...
I personally suggest the Digital8 format, since those cameras have been
around for a while and are a bit cheaper (I think I've seen Sony's entry
model for $350 or less!) AND the blank tapes are cheaper AND those 8mm
tapes are a better recording medium than the other choices (read about
that in some DV-format comparison/review).  I can probably dig up some
links on my statements if you like...

You'll also want to investigate some non-firewire linux video options,
like the TV cards from Hauppage (or campatibles), using the BTTV
chipset.  Many cards have a composite video-in and most do mpeg2 on-card
with no CPU drain.  They work well in conjunction with most modern
graphics cards, offering a no-cpu-drain "grabdisplay" mode where the TV
card writes directly to video memory (don't bother with screenshots).
My BTTV card also has an FM tuner and IR remote... I enjoy KLCC often,
but have not tried the IR to be honest, although I understand it is
fully programmable, so I could launch emacs by using the "power" button
if I wanted... I'm not sure of the specs on the IR, but I think the
receiver might be usable with other devices (Clie, universal remote,
possibly even for data!).  The main feature of these cards is the TV
tuner, but the composite-in is what you want... I think ATI's
All-In-Wonder and TV Wonder cards also have composite in and linux
support as well, but haven't worked with those.  With roughly a
gigahertz or more I think you'd be pretty happy with the potential -
I've done a little playing around with recording directly to divx (using
avirecord from the avifile project package), but have not played with
mpeg/vcd's much, unfortunately...  I've been trying to expand my
familiarity with a lot of linux multimedia tools in order to possibly do
a newbie's linux multimedia clinic.  Anyone want to collaborate on that?

Oh, maybe you in fact are talking about and looking for a "webcam", in
which case you want to BE SURE to have linux compatibility... the
Logitech QuickCam's are a well-supported series.  To digress on the
subject of webcams, there are some interesting projects I've come across
(on freshmeat.net iirc); one shows how to build a simple
serial-controlled hobby-stepper-motor camera moving device, along with
integrated software control for some of the Xwindows webcam software;
another few help turn a webcam into a "security camera", which starts
recording when motion is detected, which configurable sensitivity and
duration, etc.

In general, for this (or any other topical endeavor), I suggest:
1. searching freshmeat.net for open source projects, sort by rating
2. scan HOWTO's, FAQ's, etc at tldp.org for the latest documentation on
the subject

cheers, and let us know what you discover, and eventually choose  = )

   ben