Hi,

I was thinking the hardware would consist of:
coincidently, Dodge Aries for, what, $500.00?  Is it an automatic?
A high end GPS for say $750.00 to $1000.00.  A cheap GPS will keep the car on or
near the road.  A high end GPS might keep in the correct lane.
Remote control gear for start, stop, steering.  $500.00
A Linux powered computer $1500.00.  Don't think cheap.
Access to MapQuest, Priceless.

It's my turn to Hmmm...Maybe Jammie is right.
There will also need to be a video system to detect pedestrian, stop lights, stop
signs, cross traffic, etc.  $$$$$
A collision avoidance system.  They come as a kit now.  $$$

Once the car refuses to hit a wall inspite of your most valiant efforts, then there
will be tons of hours programming it to get from here to anywhere, including L.V.
I didn't read the rules but if you can't tell the car to stop for gas, then make it
solar powered, use fuel cells or follow it with a gas truck.  (Pull a 500 gallon gas
tank on a trailer?)

Cheers.

Linux Rocks ! ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote*:

Hmmm... well.. I hope your not making plans with that million bucks.. The
>rules state several instances that no award will be made. including an
>unspecified time limit. in otherwords, even if your not the first to cross
>the finishline, you still may not win.

Its a pretty stiff challenge too.. consider how much money NASA has spent on
>the mars lander, and even  its not completely autonomous(sp?)

How about this design ideas....
>One very long vehicle that streaches from  LA to LV?
>a humongus sphere (large enough to roll over any obstacle/crevace that guides
>itself towards a homing beakon?

Some how I think bobs estimate is a bit low... Just making a vehicle that can
>travel that much distance w/out refueling will be a task, and remeber its a
>race!
>On a side note... I have a 1985 Dodge Aries I was planning on selling cheap
>(just to get some cash) If anybody comes up with a really good idea requiring
>a 1985 Dodge Aries.... we could use it! (note Ideas must come before I sell
>it)
>
>Jamie
>

>On Thursday 05 December 2002 08:10 pm, Beaker (aka Jeff W) wrote:
>: > http://www.darpa.mil/iao/
>:
>: while checking out the above link I thought I'd see what was on the main
>: DARPA page and found this:
>:
>: http://www.darpa.mil/grandchallenge/index.htm
>:
>: The cash prize is a cool million (taxpayer?) dollars!
>:
>: ~beaker
>:
>: _______________________________________________