Dexter Graphic wrote:

If set up a DHCP server on my network, I assume that
means I can no longer use a hosts file for resolving machine names, so does that mean I need a DNS server
to perform this function?

Yes and no. Yes if you are just randomly assigning addresses from the
pool, and in fact you need to set up Dynamic DNS. No if you are assigning
IP addresses to particular MAC addresses, a host file is fine (if a hassle to maintain).
You can do a combination of the two in which case you still need to set up DDNS
for the address pool and normal DNS for the preassigned addresses. Um, that sounds
funny, like they are two different things. Bind 9 (it's still 9, isn't it?) does both of those.

J. Toman