On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 06:23:29PM +0000, Bob Crandell wrote:
> The advantage to setting up your own DNS server is that it reduces the traffic over
> your internet connection.

It might be helpful to explain why it "reduces traffice over your
internet connection."  This is why I run a local dns server at my
office, and my laptop.

A DNS server running in this fashion is termed a caching dns server.
Without such, each time your computer connects to a domain name (ie web
browsing) it must make a dns query.  This means traversing possibly a
lan, and then an internet connection to go to an isp's dns server, then
returning before the client can actually connect to the web server.  The
caching dns server retains this entry in memory, whereas the client
usually does not.  This means the first lookup goes over the internet
connection, all subsequent lookups are made either on the local machine
or over a lan depending on the setup.

Next, in my experience the bandwidth of a line is less important than
the response time.  So having a caching dns server means a much faster
response.  True there is less traffic over the line, but what usually
matters is that the client is much snappier.

Whomever does not have a caching dns server it is worth your time to set
one up, regardless of the amount of bandwidth you have.  The only way it
is not is if the response time to your dns server is <10ms.  How to
tell the response time?  Ping the first ip address listed in
/etc/resolv.conf

Cory