Jamie,

Hope your father's ok.

I don't know that much about iptables; there seem to be plenty of tutorials
about it, though.  The main thing is to close everything up, then be very
selective about what comes through.

Here's a iptables trick I use home.  Sometimes the win98 box does dial-up
directly, sometimes the linux box dials and shares.

I set win98 to use my linux box as the default route and DNS server--which
it overrides for direct dialup from win98.  When the linux box dials out,
I use fetchmail/postfix for getting/sending mail, but I didn't want to have
to adjust any settings on the win98 box for this.

These lines in my firewall setup will intercept the connections from the
win98 box for getting and sending mail, regardless of which isp I choose
to connect.

Ralph

echo "Rerouting to this smtp server, my isp won't relay from here."
iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p tcp --dport 25 -s ! 192.168.2.50/32 \
 -j MARK --set-mark 444
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -m mark --mark 444 -j DNAT \
 --to-destination 192.168.2.50

echo "Intercept connections to pop.myisp.IP.net, reroute to this host."
iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p tcp --dport 110 -s ! 192.168.2.50/32 \
 -j MARK --set-mark 555
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -m mark --mark 555 -j DNAT \
 --to-destination 192.168.2.50