On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 10:02:05PM -0800, Ben Barrett wrote:
> Do you use fink?  I have gotten multiple very-positive comments, and
> suggested it to others, although I am not a Mac user yet... it is hard
> to justify the cost of the hardware at this point, although the
> system integrations are quite nice -- although I'm pretty comfortable
> with X apps, mostly gnome, and can afford HW costing 1/3 to 1/2 as much.
> Fink is cool, anywhoo!

If you don't mind an all-in-one box, the eMac is very attractive.  My
issue with it, though, is that you're tied to the video card it comes
with.  Also, as macs go, it's not the prettiest.

The new iBook also competes quite favourably in the bang for the buck
category.  It was high time Apple put the G3 to rest.  This means, of
course, that MacOS X 10.4 will really be targetted at the G4 and G5
market, though it may still support the G3.  I think it is a safe bet that
you'll not see 10.5 for the G3, but that's probably 2-3 years out.

The thing about the eMac is that if you were to put its video card in a
slot and put the logic board into its own little box, you'd have the Mac
everyone's been pleading for since the introduction of the bondi blue
gumdrop iMac.  You wouldn't even have to have the upgradable video to
satisfy most people.