For the gkrellm issue:  if you're using a new enough version of gkrellm,
there is a configuration option in its GUI to achieve what you want:
Right-click on gkrellm, and select configuration (or hit F1 when gkrellm
has focus), then in the "General" area, select the second tab,
"Properties".  There you'll see options for whether to set as a
dock/panel type, as well as finer-grade options like inclusion on
taskbar and pager... if your version does not have that, you might look
for a gkrellm-plugins-gnome which offers similar functionality.

Enjoy,

  Ben

PS - I'm using version 2.1.12, with -plugins-utils, -plugins-media, and
-plugins-misc (and a -themes package for 2.1.8)... I like it a lot, use
the Glass2 theme, and generally don't bother with -plugins-media on
systems which I'm only monitoring (as opposed to my workstation, where I
enable the moon clock as well).  Turn down the updates to 2/sec, too!