On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 02:01:48PM -0801, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> Or use hardware from manufacturers that want their hardware to be
> supported by Linux.  In the printer realm, that would be Epson and HP.

My HP printer, with HP driver, with HP documentation?

> You don't have to type out long commands to get varying print quality
> with CUPS + gimp-print.  You just have to set up different print queues
> for your printer, which you can do with lpr[ng] also, and has been the
> standard way to print at varying qualities on UNIX since BSD lpr.  Hell,
> you can even graphically set up different print filters in KDE!
>
> Sorry, but griping about printing under Linux, IMHO, only shows that
> you didn't do your homework, either when buying the printer or when
> setting up your printing system.

While I did not write the printing HOWTO or linuxprinting.org, I have sent
in corrections to both, have set up CUPS for a number of Linux geeks, and
know all about well-supported printers and print queues.  I DID select my
printer based on Linux support as well as cartridge technology (integrated
printheads - something HP does that Epson does not, which means unless you
print something about twice a day, Epsons will be wasting ink to keep the
print heads clean..)

The need to reconfigure the print software to add a new print queue every
time you need different settings is ANNOYING, and the print times are
unacceptable.  It is possible to work around these factors, but that is
where the complex command lines come in.  Of course I had seperate print
queues for the commonly used choices, but even those took minutes to print
a single page.

> Sony actuallly has a DVD-R/CD-RW/standalone mp3 player "personal multimedia
> device" that's the size of a Walkman that plugs into USB.  I can't find
> it on sony.com, but I have a flier for it that came with a DVD+/-RW I
> just got.

It's a nice alternative for the average laptop with USB2, but the built-in
aspect of the one in my Powerbook is very nice.  Limitation: no 3" CDs,
it's a slot-loader.

> That, and they are obvious cohorts with Adobe.

Explain why Premiere for mac has languished so much then while it is still
the best choice for Windows?  Adobe got really annoyed when Apple started
working on Final Cut Pro.