Mr O wrote:

> Anyone else overclock at all?

I told you the story of my ASUS P4C box.  I found that at the stock
FSB speed, the RAM would run at 5-2-2-2 timings.  At even a single MHz
faster, it would fail randomly during boot until I increased RAM
latency.  Since I believe* that for my workload (the only things I
ever wait for are gcc and the Python interpreter), memory latency
matters more than raw CPU speed, I'm happy with that setup.  It has
been very stable -- at this moment, it's been up for 46 days.

In the TiVo Engineering Snail Racing Series, I've just barely edged
out the second fastest box, a P4C 3.06 GHz with more normal RAM
timings.  The benchmark is g++ compilation and linking.

Hardware:

    ASUS P4P800 motherboard (Intel i865 "Springdale" chipset)
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz (hyperthreaded, 800 MHz FSB)
    ordinary Intel CPU cooler
    Kingston PC3500 HyperX RAM, 4 x 512 Mb
    various other bits

> My machine is super stable at 3495Mhz but pushing it over that
> causes programs to just die whenever they want.

Very good!  Is that 228 MHz FSB w/ 15+1/3 multiplier?  I'd love to see
an lmbench memory latency graph from your box at that speed.

    http://www.bitmover.com/lmbench/

*"I believe" means I haven't tested it. (-:
kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]