Where exactly did the planning leave off?  I know there was still a lot of speculation regarding how the cyrobot/sub would communicate with the lander/orbiter, and many unknowns about what kind of scientific payload the sub would carry.

I think the latest probe design was based on a torpedo with an RTG in the nose to melt the borehole and also be the power supply.  At some interval (exact distance?), a relay/repeater module would be dropped (how is the repeater placed in the borehole?) to keep the cyrobot in contact with the lander.  Upon reaching the ocean the sub would be free moving, but would need to return near the last repeater location for uplinking data.

Before making blueprints of a probe that can fit the bill, maybe we should get specific mission goals and requirements all down on some "requirements specification".

What are the primary and secondary scientific goals?  I'm assuming a radar mapping orbiter will have proved the existence of the ocean before Icepick lands, so I'm guessing our primary mission is to determine the chemical properties of the ice and ocean, particularly in regards to organic molecules.  Possibly mapping a seafloor may be a nice secondary goal, if its even feasible.

What are the requirements of the probe?  How much energy is required?  What is the duration of the mission?  What kind of decision/problem resolving intelligence is needed by the sub?  What kind of pressures will it encounter?  Radiation tolerance?  Mass/size restrictions?  How can it "prove" the existence of life on europa?  Do we want a camera?  If so, what kind of lighting is needed?  Microscope?

What are the unknowns and expected problems?  How will the borehole behave as the ice is melted?  As the borehole deepens, will shifting ice close the hole?  Will water vapor condense on the sides to close it?  Are pockets of air or meltwater possible before reaching the ocean?  How pure is the ice?  Could a layer of rock debris be encountered?

I think Russell Clark started a document, but it wasn't complete.  Maybe we can first finish the document by filling in the blanks and then design the probe?   Icepick: Hydrobot Design Issues

Cheers,
Tom - full of questions, not full of answers == You are subscribed to the Europa Icepick mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Project information and list (un)subscribe info: http://klx.com/europa/