In a message dated 3/17/2001 5:15:56 AM Alaskan Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> ...that the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list is intended solely for discussions
>  of Europa and missions to it.  Other discussions are off-topic and should
>  not be held on the list unless that can be directly tied to Europa.  Your
>  ability to abide by this simple rule will determine the fate of the list.
>
>  Sincerely,
>  Jeff Foust
>  list administrator
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeff:  while I admire your putting the Europa website up for people to
contribute to, I cannot agree to your attempted limitation of it to strict
discussions of Europa.
First, there is simply not enough material about Europa and or Europa related
issues.  There are no solid missions there, there is no solid evidence of
life or no life, etc.  Much of it is speculation.

As this is the realm of speculation, there is bound to be some issue
wandering.  This is not a group of obedient bureaucrats inhabiting this web
discussion group -- these are pseudo-scientists, writers, business
professionals, engineers, and hacks -- an eclectic group.

I believe that most of the people here will keep within the realm of space
technology and exploration, with some peripheral discussions such as
speculative planets, biota, and so forth.  Even if some of these topics are
not always strictly 'on point', they nevertheless are part of an environment
where more Europa related topics can flourish.

That's my position, and I hold by it.  I do not promise to always confine my
topics strictly to Europa related discussions, nor will I.  To my
understanding, the website is generally open to all persons who care to
contribute, in a mutually respectful manner, about subjects which generally
involve some aspect of space technology or development.  That is the sort of
website I am interested in contributing to.

-- John Harlow Byrne