Michael,

I do not pine for the old days of apollo - I just want the technology.
The engines were fabulous and as pointed out could probably be reverse
engineered.  An HLLV would be a fantastic addition to our lift
capabilities.

According to my calculations, $250 Million divided by 100 tons equals
$1,250 per pound.  Given every other launch vehicle out there, this is
dirt cheap.  "I'll take 450 pounds please."

On the subject of feet on the ground, you better believe I understand
the issues.  The LAST thing I want is another government space program.
I want NASA in the science business and not in the launch business.
They need to buy payload capabilities, not create them.

I say this because (letting the cat out of the bag) I am working on
cheaper access to space.  I have a rocket team that is devoted to lower
launch costs.  I started with an X-prize vehicle but realized I came to
the table too late and the approach that was being taken to get that
$10M prize money cut too many corners and would not produce a design
that can be scaled upwards to orbital. I know personally the blood,
sweat and heartache it takes to build a launch vehicle because I am
doing it.  One step at a time.  One failure or success at a time.

I want to send something to Europa, but it won't happen with just
discussion, it takes work and I am working on it.  The research it takes
to accomplish this can be done inexpensively, but it takes more time
that way.  A weekend here, an hour or two there, all in the name of
progress on a launcher that may yet get us to space without any
government monies involved. We do need a launcher don't we?

Please don't think I take offense by your comments, nothing can be
further from the truth.  I agree with almost everything you said. We do
need our feet on the ground, but we have to have our dreams in the
stars.  The hard part is stretching far enough to do both.

Joe L.