Obligatory quote from It's a Wonderful Life:

   George Bailey: What do you want, Mary? Do you
     want the moon? If you want it, I'll throw a
     lasso around it and pull it down for you. Hey!
     That's a pretty good idea! I'll give you the
     moon, Mary.
   Mary: I'll take it! Then what?
   George Bailey: Well, then you can swallow it, and
   it'll all dissolve see, and the moonbeams would
   shoot out of your fingers and your toes and the
   ends of your hair... am I talking too much?

Seriously, you could put a terminal at the Earth-
moon L1 Lagrange point, but that's closer to the moon
than it is to Earth.  The pole idea might work.
It wouldn't come close to crossing paths with any
space-elevators that way too.  I'm sure this crazy
idea will fizzle for some other practical reason,
though.  To be replaced by something even crazier,
no doubt.

--Mark