> I work with modelers all the time.  They continue to tell me what
> they think I want to hear.  I'm not familiar with Moore's Law, only
> Murphy's.

LOL!  Lies, damned lies, and ... computer simulations.
Moore's Law guarantees that you'll be able to opinion-shop
to virtually infinite levels of detail in the future.

> Welcome back Michael, ;->

I was never gone, just uncharacteristically quiet.

OK, actually, I do have something to say today,
come to think of it, and it has to do with propulsion,
energy supply and logistics in general in the
neighborhood of Jupiter.

Jupiter has this strong magnetic field, right?  So
you should be able to generate electricity by
flying electrodynamic tethers through it.  Jupiter
also has quite an atmosphere, and heat for
various purposes might be had by aerobraking through
it.  Aerobraking doesn't preclude scooping up
some atmosphere while you're at it, and this
might apply as well to aerobraking through Io's
atmosphere (or even Callisto's, thin as it may be.)
Jupiter has four smallish planets around it, Europa
being one, so there must be ways to regenerate
spacecraft momentum through slingshot trajectories
*within* the Jovian system.  Some of those trajectories
might be oriented entirely around harvesting energy
and materials.  Materials?  Jupiter has a system of rings
within the orbit of Io that suggest lots of free water ice
floating around, which could be scavenged,
dissassociated for fuel, or used for other purposes.
As well, Jupiter has a handful of moons
within the orbit of Io, and smaller bodies within the
rings, that would seem to pose relatively minor fuel
burdens for takeoff and landing, and which might
have their own highly available resources.

I guess what I'm suggesting here is that
exploration of the Jovian system and even
under the surfaces of its icy moons might best
be approached with an in situ resource
utilization strategy where "situ" is the
Jovian system as a whole, and "resources"
include Jupiter's magnetic field, its upper atmosphere,
its various ring materials, and the momentum
(and maybe even the upper atmospheres)
of its larger moons.  Instead of trying
to send huge self-contained probes, a better
long-term investment strategy might be to
incrementally build infrastructure that smaller
probes could use when they arrive.  If each
step can be rationalized in terms of both science
value and technology spin-off for non-Jovian
missions, you might have the makings of a
program that could crawl along on its belly
under the perennial live-fire exercises of
budgetary politics, maybe even gathering
momentum as it goes.

I think one of the keys to this whole scheme
is to recognize that H2O is underappreciated
for its value as a structural material.  On Earth,
this neglect makes sense - there aren't many places
on Earth where the temperature is below
freezing year around, and who'd want to live
in those places?  In Jupiter orbit, however, ice
is going to be very hard stuff.

Admittedly, ice at low temperatures is still ice -
very brittle.  It seems an unlikely material for
structural or shielding applications.  Just a
little bit extra, however, and the brittleness
problem goes away.  Right now, I have a
slab of ice-composite in my freezer about
1 cm thick, one that I can throw on a concrete
floor without it shattering, and that doesn't bend
even as easily a piece of plywood the same shape.
What do you need to make your own?  Use
the expensive, exotic composite material
additive that I used: layered toilet paper.
Very lightweight stuff.  As light as it is, most
of its mass isn't even the core molecular fibers that
account for most of its strength.  A little
goes a long way, and that's important if you
plan to take it a long way, like out to Jupiter.

Water ice has a low melting point.  If you have
some fine fiber, and some ice ore, it doesn't
require a huge amount of energy to cast and
machine strong parts using filtered water combined
with fiber to make a slurry.  As weak as sunshine is
out at Jupiter's orbit, a parabolic reflector (perhaps
started as an inflatable, then cut away to let in
sunlight) might preheat ice ore materials enough
to greatly reduce the amount of energy needed
from other sources to reach ice melting point.
Reflector arrays might also be used to good effect
to mine surface ice, softening it by heating, so
that it can be more easily removed.  At some turnaround
point, larger reflectors might be built from ice composite,
with only a very thin layer applied to make them
adequately reflective.  In microgravity, you
wouldn't need much structural strength anyway.
An ice-composite reflector-backing might be
only as thick as onionskin paper, but still effective
as a stable structure for a reflector.

For electrodynamic energy harvest systems, ice-fiber
composites might also have a role in shielding the
wires in the electrodynamic tether from micro-debris strikes.
Obviously, you've got a problem in using ice in
any energy-harvest systems requiring aerobraking.
At best you could hope to aerobrake in situations
that wouldn't raise the temperature of an ice-sheathed
tether above freezing, or in situations where you
hope for a return on investment even with ice-composite
sheath being disposable, for some given production run
based on atmospheric heating.

I have only begun to get really crazy with this
idea.  Maybe I should stop here.  (Hint: running
low on structural cellulose out there?  Have
composites gotten too weak from radiation
damage, and need to be recycled?  Think carbonaceous
chondrites, grow-lights and algae.)

If I have a point, it's this: significant exploration of Jupiter's
moons seems bottlenecked by issues of energy supply
once a probe is out there.  The Jovian system has
lots of energy sources, however, and may have
easily-extracted materials for in situ construction
of energy harvesters.  And if I have a question,
it's this: who is thinking about approaches like
these?  Doesn't some of what I'm talking about
lend itself to studying and eventual exploiting
comets, asteroids and polar regions on Mars, maybe
even the Moon if they find surface ice there?

-michael turner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> >  > I can buy parallel evolution producing similar
> >>  shapes of creatures.  But the plants being green
> >>  strikes me as a particularly Earth-born conceit.
> >>  Even if the ice wasn't kilometers thick, I doubt
> >>  enough sunlight reaches Europa to make photo-
> >>  synthesis via chlorophyll a useful process...
> >
> >Hey, it's only a movie ;-)  A more plausible
> >picture wouldn't be much more exciting, at
> >least pictorially, than ocean-floor photos
> >on Earth.
> >
> >It might be 30 years before a probe shines
> >light on anything down there.  If Moore's Law
> >holds for most of those years, we might see
> >computer systems powerful enough to start
> >simulating possible origins and evolution
> >of life on Europa.  That effort might produce
> >some very interesting images indeed.
> >
> >-michael turner
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >>  --- LARRY KLAES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>  > IMAGE DESCRIPTION:
> >>  >
> >>  >     In the future, life will
> >>  > be discovered on Jupiter's moon Europa.
> >>  >
> >>  > After a trip through interplanetary space,
> >>  > a delivery probe (upper left) will
> >>  > penetrate Europa's icy surface and release
> >>  > a camera probe (center) into the subsurface
> >>  > ocean.
> >>  >
> >>  > Heat, generated within the moon from Jupiter's
> >>  > gravitational forces, allows life to flourish.
> >>  >
> >>  > Jellyfish-like creatures float within a
> >>  > a current of small bubbles.  Two plant-like
> >>  > stalks can be seen in the middle-left. A
> >>  > shelled creature sits on the sea floor
> >>  > on the bottom left.
> >>  >
> >>  > The delivery and camera probes are based on
> >>  > actual NASA designs.
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >