----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 5:33 AM
Subject: Latest News from the Astrobiology Magazine

Our Cosmic Self-Esteem
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1381.html

Astronomer Royal, Sir Martin Rees describes how for the first time, humans as a species may start to change in observable ways within single lifetimes and under some loose control of our own influence. If this future plays out, the future itself becomes more difficult to forecast.

Poor Man's Space Probe
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1380.html

To see the world in a grain of sand has a resonant poetry when astronomers try to understand the rain of dust and meteors that blanket the Earth daily. It turns out that doing astronomy with a microscope has its benefits, particularly when the extraterrestrial samples arrive at our doorstep.

Opportunity Knocks
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1379.html

Counting down the top ten astrobiology stories for 2004 highlights the accomplishments of those exploring Mars, Saturn, comets, and planets beyond Pluto. Number one in this countdown was the Opportunity rover exploring Mars.

Saturn's Immense Icy Cloud
http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1378.html

Ultraviolet images of Saturn's rings indicates much of the system is filled with ice, as well as atoms derived from water. A cloud of oxygen extends millions of miles outward from Saturn, which may hint at collisions between unseen icy moons.

Monday, January 10