  1) Re: Battery lifespan vs Abusive owner (me!)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Battery lifespan vs Abusive owner (me!)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Isolation? Re: LED Low Voltage indicator
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) early adopters
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Matthew Muelver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Matthew Muelver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Matthew Muelver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Effective Regen or Over-Unity?
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Matthew Muelver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Plasma Boy Lives!
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EVAA 2002 EV Conference
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by "Tony McCormick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: E-Meter Questions
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Battery lifespan vs Abusive owner (me!)
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: E-Meter Questions
        by Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Effective Regen or Over-Unity?
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: EV digest 2435
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Matthew Muelver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Battery lifespan vs Abusive owner (me!)
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Battery lifespan vs Abusive owner (me!)
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Crazy Go-Kart EV ideas
        by Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Effective Regen or Over-Unity?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle
 27) IF YOU DRIVE ALONE, YOU DRIVE WITH SADDAM
 28) Re: OT "What would Jesus Drive"
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Effective Regen or Over-Unity?
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
John G. Lussmyer wrote:

> I've looked at the arrangement under the hood. Even if I move the
> charger to the back, there still isn't enough room. The DCP
> accelerator assembly takes up too much room to let 2 batteries fit.

Use a hand throttle like a motorcycle? Put the throttle inductor
somewhere else, and cable operate it? Leave the charger home and use the
space for a battery?
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering

John G. Lussmyer wrote:
> The problem is that the car is a Jellybean, and there just isn't
> room for another battery.

What about somewhere external to the body? Use a couple as the front
bumper? Rear bumper? In a trailer?

Could you use a couple as your "briefcase" Haul them in to work, charge
them, and bring them out when you go home (in a wheeled suitcase)? Use
them with a step-up DC/Dc to "charge the pack as a whole as you drive
home?
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering
Sartell, MN 56377 USA      There is a crack in everything
leeahart_at_earthlink.net  That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen
> Is there a way to have the low voltage LED say in a box on the
> battery then have a fiber optic line or such go to the dash? Do
> they sell something really cheap?

Yes, this can work. Acrylic plastic fiber is fairly cheap and can carry
the light for 10's of feet or so before the light is too dim to use.
Hobby stores, or places like Edmund Scientific or American Science and
Surplus sell it.
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering
Sartell, MN 56377 USA      There is a crack in everything
leeahart_at_earthlink.net  That's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen
Amazon.com is now pre-selling Seqway's as part of their new "Early
Adopters Club".

They are also actively solicting more new products... any EV's out there
close enough to ready if could pre-sell enough to make a production run
feasable? Maybe even a high-end conversion kit?
-----
Electronics > What's Your Invention?

Millions of customers visit our site weekly, many looking to be the
first to try out new inventions and the latest technologies. If you'd
like to get your cutting-edge products in front of our early adopters,
let us know. We'll evaluate your product and help come up with the best
way to offer it on our site.

To help us direct your request to the right person, please send e-mail
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the following information:

 1. What is the product?

 2. How much would you like to sell it for?

 3. How long has the product been available? If it's not yet released,
when will it launch?

 4. If it is available now, where do you sell it?

 5. If you are the manufacturer, do you have the capability to fulfill
orders directly? If not, what means do you currently use, if any, to
distribute your product?

 Send these details, and any other information you'd like to share about
your product, to [EMAIL PROTECTED] If the product appears to be a great
fit for Amazon.com customers, we'll get back to you soon.

------

_________
Jim Coate
1992 Chevy S-10
1970s Elec-Trak E20
http://www.eeevee.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- So he's got a go-kart with an AC drive system? On alternator motors? Just to clarify, you're talking about the alternator, and not the starter, right?

Odd, and very interesting!

Matt

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 07:31 PM, Tony McCormick wrote:

Ives Meador has a working EV go Kart that uses 48volts (and up), 2-$10 Car
Alternator motors and a AC invertor controller that he designed and want to
sell copies of cheap. There were some pics of it posted from Woodburn this
year, but I don't remember by whom. His contact info can be found at www
cruxelectronics.com. It is a very fast EV-Kart with 2 speeds, regen and
cheap.

--Tony
--
If you're reading this, chances are your either:
A. A Honda freak, just like me.
On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 03:22 PM, Humphrey, Timothy wrote:
Nope, they are universal motors. In fact just a couple weeks ago I hooked
my circular saw up to an old SLI battery(car) and cut through a 1x6 pine
board. It was slow but it did it!
I've heard that many motors are "universal" but I'm wary to try running an AC rated motor on DC if I've spent any money on it (or even if its worth something). There must be a reason it says AC on the side, even if its only in the brushes or something like that.

Do you (or does anyone else) have a list of exactly which motors are indeed "universal"?

Thanks,

Matt
--
If you're reading this, chances are your either:
A. A Honda freak, just like me.
'01 M.C. Blue Insight 5 spd. #1898, 57.1 LMPG @ 24,900 mi.
B. A Mac Addict, just like me.
Dual-1GHz PowerMac G4, iBook 800MHz 12.1"
or
C. An EV freak, just like me!
:-)
On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 10:09 AM, Chris Tromley wrote:
I haven't been following this thread too closely, but I seem to remember
the NiMh pack came from an Insight. That seems like a pretty pricey
pack to be causally letting the smoke out of it.

Why not see if a buyer can be found (on e-bay, perhaps?), and use the
money to build a real go-kart?
Actually, I picked this pack up off eBay! :-)

Sure, it was a little expensive ($500), but I've just got it sitting around now. I thought that I should probably put it to some use before it just sits there and rots away.

Later,

Matt
--
If you're reading this, chances are your either:
A. A Honda freak, just like me.
'01 M.C. Blue Insight 5 spd. #1898, 57.1 LMPG @ 24,900 mi.
B. A Mac Addict, just like me.
Dual-1GHz PowerMac G4, iBook 800MHz 12.1"
or
C. An EV freak, just like me!
:-)

Geez - I haven't had physics homework in years. In other words I'm
rusty, but I'm sure any mistakes will be gently corrected:

In metric, you start with ~450 - 680 kg of wood, at a height of ~60 m.

So have 27,000 - 41,000 J of potential energy (mass x vertical
distance), or about 7 to 11 Whr of energy (1 KWH = 3800000 J)(yes, I had
to look that up).

I'd doubt that 10 Watt-hours would even overcome losses. :-(
Maybe if you bring down the entire seasons worth of wood at once...

And now back to my battery box homework, which is for credit. heh.

--

_________
Jim Coate
On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 12:57 AM, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
Just so we are all on the same page, I believe this is the motor he was
talking about:
http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=18&category=174
The motor at the top made by Leeson Electric.  Click on the tiny camera
to see a photo of this 5"x8" double shafted motor.
Yup, that's the one. I went in to my local ASAS today and checked it out in person. It certainly looks like it can handle the job. I just don't know what to do with the end of the shaft that I don't use. I don't want it hanging out just spinning, it could be dangerous. Maybe I'll put a cover over it or something.

Matt
--

Lawrence Rhodes wrote:

> Can't seem to find male receptacles for the electric gas filler trick.
> Would one just take a female and insert copper or brass to change the female
> to male?  Or just find a larger electrical supply?  Lawrence Rhodes....

I went to a local Portland electrical supply house 'Platt Electric' and ordered the
chassis mount recessed flange type L6-30 male twist lock...this is the one I wrote
about
in my post 'What are the Odds?' about how this electrical connector slid right into my
30
year old Datsun's gas filler pipe hole and its perimeter screw holes all lined up
perfectly with the car's three perimeter screw holes meant for the gas filler pipe
flange.
Platt wanted to hit me full retail on this item at $36, but I was able to use a good
EVer
friend's business account and got it for a much more reasonable $23. You probably won't
find this specialty connector at anything other than an electrical supply house, the
kind
that sells wholesale to electrical contractors and such.

Both the male and female 'cord end' L6-30 twist locks can be found at either Home
Depot or
Low's home improvement  type stores, because these connectors are quite common, usually
referred to as 'generator connectors' since they're often used on the 5kw-10kw sized
gas
generators.  Home Depot handles the 'Leviton' brand...very high quality but a lot
higher
retail price than other brands, but they want a king's ransom for the L6-30 female at
$32...yikes! At Roy LeMeur's suggestion, I took a look at Lows. They offer the very
high
quality 'Eagle' brand and their L6-30 female is just $19, with the male L6-30 at just
$17.
For my multiple EV setup here, I needed to buy quite a few of the female ends, and
while
at the sale counter, after I had pointed out to the sales person that they were
charging
me too little at $17 for the female end (that was actually the male end price), they
argued with me that 'they knew their prices' and insisted I was wrong, so what the
heck, I
bought a couple more than I had planned on getting!

See Ya.......John Wayland

Ye-a-h.....It seems that every once in a while, I revert back to a more primitive brain
function, back into that dark and murky Plasma Boy thing I'm known for, and in spite of
all that I've learned about EV electrical safety and caution from all of my
'adventures',
it just sometimes, somehow, all goes out the window!

I was inside the Wayland EV race car tow rig, my funky but oh so dependable '89 Ford
Aerostar van, doing a bit of battery maintenance and testing of the dump charge pack,
17
Optima YTs in series for a 204V pack. I was using one of my favorite quickie load
tester
devices, a 7 inch round, 300 watt aircraft landing light, a beefy sealed beam light
that
has a 50 amp initial surge that quickly ramps down to about a 25 amps of steady
current draw.
I've got a few of them around that are set up with nice 8 gauge wires and 50 amp
alligator
clips that allow the leads of a DVM to be inserted, so that  clipped to a 12V battery,
can watch the battery sag.

I had been going around to each of the 17 batteries, clipping on the ACL and timing the
battery's discharge and charting the beginning and ending voltages. I was at the end of
the string close to the van's open side sliding door, where the beginning and ending
batteries are, and where the 1/0 gauge leads go to the 350 amp Anderson quick
disconnect,
when I had a major brain fart! For some unexplained reason, I had left one of the
ACL's alligator clips still connected to the negative terminal of battery #1, and then
simply and calmly reached over to battery #17 and clipped-on the other alligator to its
positive terminal.....BOOM!!!!!!FLASH!!!!!!ZORCHHHH! (yes, all simultaneously).  Talk
about a major flash bulb effect, both from the ACL lit up at 17 times it rated voltage,
and from the intense arc that melted off half the alligator clip! There was a heavy
chest
impacting concussion inside the van that would put all of the combined Wayland
subwoofers
to shame, that hurt my body and made my ears ring for about half and hour later, as the
thick convex glass lens of the ACL was cleanly blown off and it shot across the van
like
some kind of cannon load, striking the van wall and cracking into two halves! To add to
the amusement factor, the reflector side of the ACL flew out of my hands and landed
upside
down onto a pile of paper towels I had been wiping the batteries with, and with 204 DC
volts applied, the thick wire standoffs that used to support the lamp's robust tungsten
filament, were now bridged by a bright electric arc (my version of a carbon arc lamp)
which instantly caught them on fire, which spread to a large bath towel that was also
in the
van. So, there I was, ears ringing, blown back against the van wall in a kind of
stunned
state, with my eyes still seeing a big spot, with nearby things on fire!

I grabbed the other alligator lead and pulled it loose to break the arc (the other one
was
welded onto the battery post with bits of molten lead here and there), lifted the
reflector up off the burning stuff, and then snuffed out the flames with the rest of
the
towel...whew!

Anyway, it seems my alter ego is alive and well :-)

See Ya......John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

Anyone care to analyze how a sealed beam light can turn into a cannon?
Matt,
If it has a commutator and brushes (you can see this through
vent holes) it is universal.  If you are still concerned, connect
it to your car battery and it will run slow (assuming it is a 120Vac
universal motor).
Rod

Matthew Muelver wrote:
[...]

are well talking about a EVAA meeting ?  That's about 150 miles from were
I'm at . I know two EV's down that way .  If something is happening then
I'll try and make it .  of course all EV's are welcome to drop my me place
in Fort Pierce .
Steve Clunn

From: "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Effective Regen or Over-Unity?
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 04:12:46 -0800

It wasn't that I didn't like the regen I just didn't like that It kept
braking but zapi fixed that for me the last time " we don't repair that
model as its out of date"  Fixed right over the phone (joke) .  Solectria is
AC?   "Hills"  I have heard of those things . The most I ever saw on the
meter was .1 ah go back in to the bats .  Do you think that the AC regen
would hold up if you towed the car and had it on .  could do some long dis
by getting a tow and charge and same time.   You have an escort , I had a
lynx (almost the same) and it was the best EV I ever had,  gone but not
forgotten