  1) Re: For those familiar with springs
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Help With Repairing Traction Motor
        by "Michael A. Radtke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Electric Vehicle Conversion Auto Car Kit
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Electric Vehicle Conversion Auto Car Kit
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: For those familiar with springs
        by Jeremy Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle or Dryer plug and questions of wire size.   $1.00
group buy.
  7) Re: Fast charge "gas" stations, Blue Meanie, & Portland Cops!
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle or Dryer plug and questions of wire size.   $1.00
group buy.
  9) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle or Dryer plug and questions of wire size.   $1.00
group buy.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle or Dryer plug and questions of wire size.   $1.00
group buy.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle or Dryer plug and questions of wire size. $1.00 group
buy.
 12) Re: L6-30 or 50 receptacle or Dryer plug and questions of wire size. $1.00 group
buy.
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Help With Repairing Traction Motor
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: OT "What would Jesus Drive"
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Effective Regen or Over-Unity?
        by "1sclunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: EVAA 2002 EV Conference
        by "Cliff Rassweiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: OT "What would Jesus Drive"
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Request to drop the WWJD thread...
        by Seth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: Plasma Boy Lives!
        by "George Tylinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Plasma Boy Lives!
        by "George Tylinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Too typical of this list... many people with lots of
different solutions to one problem, equally
knowledgeable & valuable points.  Thanks, Chad!  (;-p
I always think of springs first, then dampers, but I
suppose you're right, that I can use the damper as a
better spring factor.  Next question is, how would
this compare cost-wise?  to be determined...
Thanks again.

--- Chad Peddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All of the bellow are probably true.
> -VW: German, CIVIC: Japan
>
> It would be a lot better and easier to go with air
> shocks or air bags.
> Nearly any pick-em up store would have them.
>
> I do not see why more EV don't have air ride.  You
> boost the load carrying
> capacity without altering the safety of  the
> vehicle.
>
> Chad
>

> > In a couple of months, I'll be pulling parts from
> the
> > Rabbit and transferring them to a Civic.  It seems
> > me that the Civic chassis will be (roughly) the
> same
> > amount heavier than the Rabbit was.  So (in
> theory),
> > the Civic could use the same springs as the Rabbit
> > did.
> >    Now, I haven't done any measurements, but a
> couple
> > of  things could screw this money and resource
> savings
> > up:
> > 1)  the diameter of the springs are not standard
> > between the two cars.
> > 2)  the length of the springs are completely
> > different.
> > 3)  the way the springs mount is different.
> > As mentioned, about 128V of batts. 68x16 lbs =
> 1100
> > lbs. is going to need roughly the same spring
> constant
> > value.
> >
> >    Anyone have any other thoughts, favorite
> > manufacturers, etc?

> now.
> > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

http://mailplus.yahoo.com
Hello,

My Jet ElectraVan quit.  It turned out to have used up its brushes at
less than 20,000 km.  The second surprise was that I needed to remove
the motor to replace the brushes.  However, since the brushes failed
somewhat catastrophically, I needed to remove the motor anyhow to
inspect it.

What I found was that two of the brush holders were damaged by arcing,
and the insulated board that supports the holders was burned somewhat
around them, but still seems solid.  2 of the 8 brush springs were
damaged as well.

The commutator has only a small amount of surface pitting from the
arcing, and does not have any grooves.  I think that it should clean up
just fine with sandpaper.

I checked all the adjacent bars on the commutator with a small DC
current and earphones across the field.  I was careful to check each
pair in the same place with respect to the field and I heard the same
volume of click for each pair.

I would prefer to replace the entire brush assembly, but depending on
parts availability, I could live with cleaning it up and just replacing
the brushes and the two springs.

So my questions are:

1) Should I pack the motor up and take it to an expert, or is
   my diagnosis sound?

2) I live in Phoenix, AZ.  Can anyone recommend a local expert?

3) Where do I get parts for this motor (see below)?

The motor is:

GE Model 5BT1346B38    20.9 HP   Series 90 volt, 184 Amp
GR8-87-CR              4707 RPM  ENCL BV
CL.H                 Duty 1 HR   140 degrees C

> Yup, that was state of the art 30 years ago.

These aircraft starter/generators were actually the state of the art in
the 1940s. By the 1970s they had gotten onto the surplus market, and
were available cheap (just what budding EV enthusiasts were looking
for!)

> As I understand it the efficiency of aircraft starter/generators is
> pretty low

They were optimized for light weight, not high efficiency. Still, their
efficiency isn't that bad; around 70% compared to 80% for Advanced DC
motors.

People's driving habits were another reason for low efficiency with
these motors. They are designed for high speeds: 4000-8000 rpm. Most
people tended to shift like they still had a gasoline engine, running
them at 2000 rpm. Thus they drew lots of current and ran inefficiently.

> ...and not much low end torque to boot.

The pure generators didn't have much torque (characteristic of shunt
motors), but the starter/generators sure did! They had the extra series
field winding that allowed them to make serious torque! My 1974 Datsun
pickup with a 30v 500amp Jack & Heinz aircraft starter-generator could
easily burn rubber. Fred Saxby's Crosley EV could lift the front tires
off the ground.

> And it even include a two speed series parrallel speed controler.

The shunt field is a big advantage with these motors. It allows good
results with very simple controllers.

> On the other hand it does provide dirt simple regen.

Since they are built as generators, they really excel at high regen
currents. Probably *too* high!

> If you are looking for a low end starter
> kit, and you can get it for about $400, it might be worth it.

I agree. If the price is right, it's a great set of "training wheels".

> the damn car sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it runs, cuz the built
> in fan spins up so fast when the car goes, that it can't not.

They generally don't have any built-in fan. You have to use an external
blower (and a BIG one at that!) for cooling.

And yes, they are noisy. The noise comes from the huge commutator, sized
for 1000 amp peak currents, and the high rpm they want to run at. They
do indeed sound like a big vacuum cleaner (or jet engine).
--
Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering

1) G.E.  2CM88D5, 30 v, 400 amp, 3000-8000 rpm
    New from Burden Surplus, $ 400 plus shipping

2) Jack & Heintz  G23-4BT
   30v, 400 amp,  3800-8000 rpm
   Used, $ 150 plus shipping

3) Delco Aircraft Starter Generator  s/n 344-c-55
    30 v, 400 amp, 3700-8000 rpm, shaft needs a snap lock ring.
    Used, $ 75 plus shipping

Bill, Glastonbury, CT 06033

23 Nov 2002 21:05:30 -0800 Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> [...]
>
> > the damn car sounds like a vacuum cleaner when it runs, cuz the
> built
> > in fan spins up so fast when the car goes, that it can't not.
>
> They generally don't have any built-in fan. You have to use an
> external
> blower (and a BIG one at that!) for cooling.
>
> And yes, they are noisy. The noise comes from the huge commutator,
> sized
> for 1000 amp peak currents, and the high rpm they want to run at.
> They
> do indeed sound like a big vacuum cleaner (or jet engine).
> --
> Lee A. Hart                Ring the bells that still can ring
> 814 8th Ave. N.            Forget your perfect offering
> Sartell, MN 56377 USA      There is a crack in everything
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net  That's how the light gets in - Leonard

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I have 192 volts of optimas. 11 in the back on either side of the suspension beam and 5 up front (plus 1 for an accessory battery).
The suspension on the 87 and earlier crx is very different from the later civics.
It is actually riding a little high with the wagon springs in the back. I have a set of springs for the rear that I had wound when I had trojan scs 225s in it. It was quite a bit heavier then (especially in the back).
If anyone wants them they can have them.

-Jeremy

On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 09:48 PM, Bob Bath wrote:

Jeremy, you're using Optimas, or floodeds in the CRX?
Thanks for the info!

--- Jeremy Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The spring constant would be different if the spring
was on a different
spot on the lower control arm.  Wouldn't it?
There are lots of cheap sources for springs for the
civics.  I have
civic wagon springs in my crx.

			-Jeremy

On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 05:36 PM, Bob
Bath wrote:

[...]

Yahoo! Mail Plus ñ Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com
I gotta ask what size wire you use from the filler to the charger?  I am
going up to #8.  I am tired of melting plugs.  Lawrence Rhodes.....