  2) Re: A89 vs. ETEK
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) serious power
        by Aaron NMLUG-EV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: A89 vs. ETEK
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: A89 vs. ETEK
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) reduce a cars electric-power usage by 70 percent
        by Lee Dekker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: serious power
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: A89 vs. ETEK
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: A89 vs. ETEK
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: A89 vs. ETEK
 11) fw: attack on clean air requirements [Incident: 041209-000062]
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Mystery Machine
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Rav4 EV Response From Toyota
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Information about Matt Van Leeuwen's Sylph (aka: A89 vs Etek, 3 Wheeled EV)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 15) Re: Information about Matt Van Leeuwen's Sylph (aka: A89 vs Etek, 3
Wheeled EV)
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: serious power
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Re: zap-wavecrest-electrocharger
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
       Hi Richard and All,
--- richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> what vehicle are you using the etek in?
> i have one and am building a emotorcycle with it
> it's currently in a test rig

     It's in a Lectra motorcycle I believe.
     While the PM E-tek is a great motorcycle motor,
it's not powerful enough at start-up for anything over
800lbs loaded weight and well geared. More if top
speed is less.
     It's limited to about 4,000rpm so you can't gear
it more without lowering your top speed for good
starting power.
     Once you get over that weight, the A89 is
superior for starting on hills and can be made to turn
5-6,000 rpm for even more start-up torque thru gearing
or higher top speed.
     BTW on motorcycles it's best not to go faster
than 50 mph or your range will be quite short because
of aero drag unless you do a good half or full body
fairing. If you do that ,long range and top speed will
be much better like x2 or x3 for range from lower drag
at a given speed if done right!!!
     Though the E-tek at top speed will pull stronger
with more torque.
     In heavier EV's like more the 600lbs loaded and
geared for 50 mph top speed, use an E-controller to
limit the E-tek's current or it may die badly like
mine did on my 1,000lb EV.
     I'd use it again if building a motorcycle.
           HTH's,
                 jerry dycus

> Lawrence Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It seems to me with my limited testing is the ETEK
> is better at 48v than the
> A89. At 72v however the A89 would be a bit peppier
> than the ETEK is what I
> am guessing. My test is a steep hill going to my
> house that I can just pull
> at 25 with the A89 geared up the ETEK could pull in
> the middle of the hill
> from 20mph and accelerate where the A89 would be
> stuck with no acceleration.
> I am even feeling a bit of difference in the 30
> pounds I lost from the
> change of motors too. So more power. Very little
> modification. More
> efficient. I also have the A89 for another project
> if I desire. Lawrence
> Rhodes.......
>

> Regards
> Richard

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

hi jerry
thats useful information
thank you
my bike will be around 300lbs and I weigh 200 lbs
it will be geared for 50mph flat out
i'm only going 5 miles each way to work so i could loose another 50lbs off the
weight in batteries if the thing rides like a slug
i have no gear box it's direct drive
controller is a 4QD 300 with regen
any one out there have any more good advice ?
all the electrics have been tested in my trike test rig which is too fast for
it's stability

jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Richard and All,
--- richard ball wrote:

> what vehicle are you using the etek in?
> i have one and am building a emotorcycle with it
> it's currently in a test rig

It's in a Lectra motorcycle I believe.
While the PM E-tek is a great motorcycle motor,
it's not powerful enough at start-up for anything over
800lbs loaded weight and well geared. More if top
speed is less.
It's limited to about 4,000rpm so you can't gear
it more without lowering your top speed for good
starting power.
Once you get over that weight, the A89 is
superior for starting on hills and can be made to turn
5-6,000 rpm for even more start-up torque thru gearing
or higher top speed.
BTW on motorcycles it's best not to go faster
than 50 mph or your range will be quite short because
of aero drag unless you do a good half or full body
fairing. If you do that ,long range and top speed will
be much better like x2 or x3 for range from lower drag
at a given speed if done right!!!
Though the E-tek at top speed will pull stronger
with more torque.
In heavier EV's like more the 600lbs loaded and
geared for 50 mph top speed, use an E-controller to
limit the E-tek's current or it may die badly like
mine did on my 1,000lb EV.
I'd use it again if building a motorcycle.
HTH's,
jerry dycus

> Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
> It seems to me with my limited testing is the ETEK
> is better at 48v than the
> A89. At 72v however the A89 would be a bit peppier
> than the ETEK is what I
> am guessing. My test is a steep hill going to my
> house that I can just pull
> at 25 with the A89 geared up the ETEK could pull in
> the middle of the hill
> from 20mph and accelerate where the A89 would be
> stuck with no acceleration.
> I am even feeling a bit of difference in the 30
> pounds I lost from the
> change of motors too. So more power. Very little
> modification. More
> efficient. I also have the A89 for another project
> if I desire. Lawrence
> Rhodes.......
>

> Regards
> Richard

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

Regards
Richard

---------------------------------
Win a castle  for NYE with your mates and Yahoo! Messenger

Want to see some SERIOUS electrical power?

http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news-releases/2004/images/jpg/z-machine.jpg

Richard,
I am interested in the trike.  I am designing a low
speed trike about 30 mph max based on a recumbent
tadpole type trike, (greenspeed) I am thinking of
using the etek with li-ion bats and keeping the
pedals. total weight of bike, motor,electronics, batts
and me and gear of just under 400 lbs.  I will be
using it for long distance touring (150-200 miles per
day) I just want some assist up long hills or when i
get tired.  do you think this is too big a motor for
that application?

thanks
keith
> [...]

> > is better at 48v than the
> > A89. At 72v however the A89 would be a bit peppier
> > than the ETEK is what I
> > am guessing. My test is a steep hill going to my
> > house that I can just pull
> > at 25 with the A89 geared up the ETEK could pull
> in
> > the middle of the hill
> > from 20mph and accelerate where the A89 would be
> > stuck with no acceleration.
> > I am even feeling a bit of difference in the 30
> > pounds I lost from the
> > change of motors too. So more power. Very little
> > modification. More
> > efficient. I also have the A89 for another project
> > if I desire. Lawrence
> > Rhodes.......
> >

> > Regards
> > Richard

> Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com

hi keith
way too big a motor
my trike has stupid performance for a low weight
vehicle - when we tested it last week it wheelied on
the throttle and spat me off
i've just re hashed the frame to lower the centre of
gravity to make it stable
for your needs you want a hub motor
heinzman do a 2kw 36V  kit running on nicads with a
top speed of 13mph in a 20" wheel
that would pull you up everest at 400lbs
crystalite do all sorts of motor kits up to two speed
delta 72v unitstell me what country you live in and i
can point out the people to speak to
i've done a good deal of looking into this lightweight
electric bike lark
regards
reb

wrote:
> [...]
> > > A89. At 72v however the A89 would be a bit
> peppier
> > > than the ETEK is what I
> > > am guessing. My test is a steep hill going to my
> > > house that I can just pull
> > > at 25 with the A89 geared up the ETEK could pull
> > in
> > > the middle of the hill
> > > from 20mph and accelerate where the A89 would be
> > > stuck with no acceleration.
> > > I am even feeling a bit of difference in the 30
> > > pounds I lost from the
> > > change of motors too. So more power. Very little
> > > modification. More
> > > efficient. I also have the A89 for another
> project
> > > if I desire. Lawrence
> > > Rhodes.......
> > >

> > > Regards
> > > Richard

> > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced

=====
Regards
Richard

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/12/prototype81204.asp?trk=nl

New software from Siemens VDO Automotive in Schwalbach am Taunus, Germany,
could boost
cars’ fuel efficiency by regulating their electricity usage.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

If you delete the "/2004/images/jpg/z-machine.jpg " there are alot of
interesting articles including using Stirling engine generators to produce
power. Here in the SouthWest I don't understand why this hasn't happened yet
except as a experiment.

Aaron NMLUG-EV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:Want to see some SERIOUS electrical
power?

http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news-releases/2004/images/jpg/z-machine.jpg

wow,

I live in so cal.

what i am trying to do is knockoff a greenspeed solar
trike similar to the ones on their website whout the
extreem expense.  any help will be appreciated
thanks
keith
> [...]

> > > jerry dycus

> > ETEK
> > peppier
> my
> pull
> > > in
> be
> 30
> little
> > project

> Yahoo!

> > > Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new
> enhanced
> > > search.
> > > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
> > >

> > > Regards
> > > Richard

> > The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
> > http://my.yahoo.com
> >

> =====
> Regards
> Richard

> Win a castle for NYE with your mates and Yahoo!

take a look at these web sites for good info
kinetics.org.uk    - heinzman systems explained
evsolutions.net    - all about crystalite systems

joshua at evsolutions is also a trike fanatic and
really helpful - he's probably your best bet for
expert advice

wrote:
> [...]
> > reb
> >
> >   --- keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > > Richard,
> > > I am interested in the trike.  I am designing a
> > low
> > > speed trike about 30 mph max based on a
> recumbent
> > > tadpole type trike, (greenspeed) I am thinking
> of
> > > using the etek with li-ion bats and keeping the
> > > pedals. total weight of bike, motor,electronics,
> > > batts
> > > and me and gear of just under 400 lbs.  I will
> be
> > > using it for long distance touring (150-200
> miles
> > > per
> > > day) I just want some assist up long hills or
> when
> > > get tired.  do you think this is too big a motor

=== message truncated ===

=====
Regards
Richard

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

--- Begin Message --- It's on an old Lectra before they changed the fork angle. I was first there when they offered the give away. I have all stock parts glider wise. I even have a couple of extra wheels. The extra seats I sold. It pulls up hills real well with a 16 tooth to a 54 tooth with the stock wheels & tires. It's a little sluggish off the line but once it gets going it pulls real well. Haven't tried top speed yet. This is with a total weight running around 700 pounds,,, maybe a few under. LR.......
----- Original Message ----- From: "richard ball" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
i have one and am building a emotorcycle with it
it's currently in a test rig

Lawrence Rhodes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It seems to me with my limited testing is the ETEK is better at 48v than the
A89. At 72v however the A89 would be a bit peppier than the ETEK is what I
am guessing. My test is a steep hill going to my house that I can just pull
at 25 with the A89 geared up the ETEK could pull in the middle of the hill
from 20mph and accelerate where the A89 would be stuck with no acceleration.
I am even feeling a bit of difference in the 30 pounds I lost from the
change of motors too. So more power. Very little modification. More
efficient. I also have the A89 for another project if I desire. Lawrence
Rhodes.......

Regards
Richard

FWIW, here's the reply I received from Toyota (my original comment is at the
bottom).

The usual hot air. I'm too depressed to bother with a rebuttal.

Jeff Yoder