  1) Another BS battery?
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Another BS battery?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Wish I Had One Of These When I Was A Kid!
        by Marvin Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Another BS battery?
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Wish I Had One Of These When I Was A Kid!
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Another BS battery?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: No HV cables on underside?
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Need a charger recommendation
        by "Markus L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Wish I Had One Of These When I Was A Kid!
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Wish I Had One Of These When I Was A Kid!
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: LED output(Luxeons)
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Another BS battery?
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) WICKED WATTS RACE RESCHEDULED
        by "Chip Gribben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Those amazing regs.
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) The point of diminishing returns?
        by "Ryan Stotts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) EV parking/visibility scheme.
 17) was: U of W project/ porsche 912
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: LED output(Luxeons)
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: The point of diminishing returns?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Re: No HV cables on underside?
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Fw: Hybrid Cars
        by Danny Ames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: LED output
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: No HV cables on underside?
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Another BS battery?
        by Bruce Weisenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Suspension Coils
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Suspension Coils
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Suspension Coils
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Suspension Coils
        by richard ball <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) project/ porsche 912 /next
        by "Steve Clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Just seen this on another list, haven't read
anything on their site, thought somebody here
would have more info or interest
http://www.pwtcbattery.com/

They claim  "50-64% efficiency (compared to 12-15% for conventional
batteries)."  Excuse me?  Where do they get 12-15 percent???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3773614271&category=12

Last time I looked it was up to $8100.

BS detector sure pegs. Todays batteries are >90% power wise efficient
(except some NiMh generating too much heat on charge).

Coulomb efficiency for many generic LiIOn batteries
is exactly 100%: If I put 67Ah in, I get *exactly* 67Ah out
ending up at the same SOC as before this cycle.

Victor

David Roden (Akron OH USA) wrote:

They claim "50-64% efficiency (compared to 12-15% for conventional batteries)." Excuse me? Where do they get 12-15 percent???

comes up a 55 pontiac convertable is that what you
ment

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

David Roden (Akron OH USA) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> They claim  "50-64% efficiency (compared to 12-15% for conventional
> batteries)."  Excuse me?  Where do they get 12-15 percent???

They are talking about "positive active mass utilisation efficiency".
The research paper indicates that their cast reticulated open cell
current collector structures yielded PAM utilisation efficiencies of up
to 50% higher than typical book mould grids.

I'm not sure where the "50-64%" you refer to comes from.  In the
research paper they indicate a PAM utilisation of 48% at the 3hr rate
and 29% at the 1hr rate.  Their cycling test was performed at the 0.75hr
rate and yielded a PAM utilisation of 21%.

Seth and Joe, thanks for the information. Seth, your comments have really caught my attention. I will be taking your advice and not driving the 200sx until I resolve these issues.

You say that HV cables should not be run on the underside of the vehicle. I *do* have them running where the gas lines ran, protected from a direct hit by running along side the frame rails. I didn't like putting them there, but didn't think it was preferable to put them in the passenger compartment. Since I am planning a re-route on the wires anyways, should I run them through the passenger compartment somehow? That seems like a bad idea to me, but how have others done this?

We run front-to-rear cables and wire under the car, inside a tube of flexible PVC spa hose. This is normally used for plumbing hot tubs, and can be found at sprinkler supply shops. It comes in various diameters, is relatively flexible, and has a 1/4" thick wall that road hazards will NOT pierce. If anything gets through this stuff, you've got a lot bigger problems to worry about, because your car is probably totalled.

We run it along the previous exhaust path, secured to the chassis with hose clamps and aluminum angle brackets pop-riveted to the chassis.

Mike Brown
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Electric Car Conversion Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Dave,

I had gotten me a Schumacher 12 Amp charger from Wal-Mart for about $40.
It had a built in Voltmeter, a switch for different battery types, and
it had a shut-off functionality that stopped charging once the battery
reached a certain voltage. Not much of a brains though IMHO.
The volt meter could alternatively also show the battery state of charge
in percent (based on the voltage).

I used it for a while and it was fine to charge various batteries
and it worked reasonably well but ended up brining it back to the store:
If the batteries to be charged had only seen a little discharge (say 10-20%)
the charger wouldn't engage as it reported 100% SOC. But I am sure the
batteries were lower than that, e.g. on a 35Ah battery after about 5Ah
were taken out the charger would still show a 100% SOC and not engage.
Same happened if you interrupted the charge cycle (e.g. unplugged the
charger and plugged it back in) it would not continue charging as the
battery voltage was high enough for its shut-off point.

I didn't notice a difference in its behavior based on the setting of
the battery type switch it has (I think car/marine/AGM).

So, about a recommendation. I bought myself three Soneil/BatteryDefender
 3A automatic 12V chargers for $34 or so. They work fine, are very
small and allow me to top off my batteries even if they were only slightly
discharged and then float them indefinitely. If I'd buy again I would buy
a larger model (they have a 12A now at soneil.com). Only drawback: If you
want a cut-off voltage different from the preset 14.7V (too high for gel
batteries) then you have to open the case and adjust a pot manually. I set
it to 14.1-14.3V for my batteries.

Hope this helps. I think the $34 BatteryDefender is one of the best for the
price you pay. I would love to learn about alternatives that may be even
better.

Markus

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- An ELECTRIC '56 Pontiac Junior Star Chief!
David C. Wilker Jr.
USAF (RET)
"I'm figuring out what's good for me, but only by a process of elimination"
----- Original Message ----- From: "keith vansickle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>