  1) Re: Motor Idea. ( Hybrid PM DC/AC )
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: article: rMOTO Electric Superbike Expected in January 2006
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Honeycomb Aluminum Composites
        by John Lussmyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) CA ZEV Sticker
        by "Brian M. Sutin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) ADC Motor Curves
        by "Brian M. Sutin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) An ideas, intermitant problem?
        by "Catherine C. Burgard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: ADC Motor Curves
        by Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Honeycomb Aluminum Composites
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Oozing Motor?
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: ADC Motor Curves
        by "Tom Shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: New bat pack break-in
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Honeycomb Aluminum Composites
        by "Jim Waite" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: New bat pack break-in
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: More Motor Ideas. ( Hybrid PM DC/AC )
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: An ideas, intermitant problem?
        by Evan Tuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Oozing Motor?
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Brake Beefup Question
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Fast charging and battery revival.  Does it work?
        by "Mark Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Oozing Motor?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Oozing Motor?
        by "Joe Strubhar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Brake Beefup Question
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Oozing Motor?
        by "hi_torque_electric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) worn shafts journals
        by "hi_torque_electric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) NiCd question
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: NiCd question
        by Edward Ang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: Honeycomb Aluminum Composites
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: NiCd question
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) RE: NiCd question
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: More  Motor Ideas. ( Hybrid PM DC/AC )
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 30) Re: Brake Beefup Question
        by "Philip Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) curtis 1221 current limit curcuit
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) RE: NiCd question
        by Mark Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 33) Re: NiCd question
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Ryan,

You are missing that the rotation of the rotor is not at the same speed
as of the magnetic field (there is a slip if induction principle is deployed) which is not possible with brushes. You get any variable advancement you want, but one full revolution of the rotor always equals one full revolution of the mag field. So you only can build synchronous motor the way you suggest. So you suggest for the motor invert input DC for itself, so no external inverter needed and this resulting AC is fed to the
3 (or whatever) phase stator instead of to the rotor as it is done
in plain DC motor, right?

As I understand, you only switch places for stator and rotor ("invert"
a DC motor) and replace electro-magnet in a rotor (which use to be a field winding on DC machine) with the permanent magnet one.

Still have issue with brushes not withstanding high RPM but now
also you got limited torque (by the limited strength of PM).

What exactly is the point of doing this and advantages vs DC series
or shunt motor then? Those also need no external inverter...

Victor

Lightning Ryan wrote:
So, I've been thinking about what might be a new idea for motor
design based on a merging of the E-Tek and IMA-ish BLDC motors.

Here's how it works, we start out by inverting an E-Tek placing the
Perminent Magnets on the rotor and making the coils fixed and
stationary or even intigrated directly into the case.

Now if a portion of the stationary coil were exposed one could
attach a rotating brush housing setup to the rotors shaft and
then connect DC to this rotating brush housing via slip ring
brushes.  Yes there are now two sets of brushes but their use
is optional and the entire brush housing could be removed.

Such a motor would opperate with an external controller as a
brushless ?2-phase? motor by powering the stationary coils directly.
Perhaps it could be configured as a 3-phase, but I'm not sure.

Or using the brush adapter the same motor could be opperated as a
low cost brushed DC motor without any fancy external AC controller.

Or both could be used at once turning the motor into a sort of DC/AC
converter or "Hybrid" AC/DC PM motor.

What do you think? Am I missing something, maybe they already exist?

L8r
 Ryan

ps. to clarify the whole brush thing...

- Idealy there would be no brushes and one would use an external
. DC-AC controller to energize the stationary coils.

Withough such a controller in place:

- Since the coils are stationary, the brushes must rotate to
. provide the mechanical DC to AC switching, attaching a rotating
. set of brushes to the output shaft should serve this function.

- Now that the brushes are rotating and "floating" such that they
. can be simply wired to a second set of brushes is required to
. deliver the DC to the rotating mechanical AC brushes.

'91 ACRX - something different

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Looking over their site, they say that they have put together several prototypes, and are launching production for delivery to Europe in 2006.

James Jarrett wrote:

That's cool and all.  I wish them luck, but I was looking at some of
their other stuff and saw the Vectrix Scooter.  Are these just vaporware
or can you buy one?  It would be absolutely perfect for my daily commute
if it *REALLY* exists.

James

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 21:26, Paul Wujek wrote:
A high-powered electric motorcycle expected to go into production:

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/1458

Gizmag article:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4105/

The manufacturer's site:

http://www.robrady.com/

--
Paul Wujek ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) h:(905)279-5885 c:(416)892-5885
At 01:32 PM 6/22/2005, you wrote:
    Living near Seattle you should have aircraft
surplus yards you may be able to get slightly
defective or other fairly cheap. But new they are
$200-$500/4'x8' sheet. More if carbon fiber.

Boeing Surplus is a WONDERFUL place...

My California ZEV parking sticker arrived today -- number 211.  From
this I surmise that the ZEV sticker program is not all that popular.

Brian
http://www.skewray.com/alfa

--
Brian M. Sutin, Ph.D.   Astronomical Optical Engineering and Software
Skewray Research/316 W Green St/Claremont CA 91711 USA/(909) 621-3122

I found a set of curves on the web for the motor I am using, the ADC X91-4001.
I have been trying to fit them with a set of smooth curves, but I do not
understand the results I get.  According the my random web searches, series
motors should have T = k I^2, where T is the torque and I is the current.
What I get is a very good fit to T = k I^1.268.  Does anyone have any idea
what this is due to, and if there are better equations to explain the effect?
I muse that it could be a commutation effect of some sort, or leakage
inductance, or somesuch.  Or ADC mislabeled a plot for a compound DC motor...

Brian
http://www.skewray.com/alfa

--
Brian M. Sutin, Ph.D.   Astronomical Optical Engineering and Software
Skewray Research/316 W Green St/Claremont CA 91711 USA/(909) 621-3122

Intermitant buzzing,  it's coming from under the seat where all of my
components are.  In forward it sounds like a moaning cow, in reverse it is
higher pitched, but hear again it is only sometimes.
We took it to breakfast this morning just fine, no buzzing.
This evening went to town and started buzzing, but doesn't buzz all the time.
Coming home the amps dropped down to about 4 to 5 on the amp meter, I just kept
going and out of the blue it jumped back up to 125 amps.  It did this several
times on the way home. Sometimes I had to pull over for cars, and after a few
minutes sometimes it was good to go for a little more and sometimes I had to
wait a bit longer to get it going.
All the batteries are fine and the connections are good.  The contactor was
rebuilt and is in good shape.
My husband doesn't think it's the motor or brushes, he took it out and checked
it over when we got the car.
Could the controller be dieing?  What about the cylinoid thing next to the bus
bar?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Catherine

The change in exponent is due to non-linear behavior in the
magnetic properties in the motor's steel. I^2 is for linear material.

Less than second power is the result of decreasing permeability in
the motor's steel.

Also, on some curves ADC included pack resistance in the voltage
plot i.e. the voltage is not motor terminal voltage, but the ideal pack voltage.

This will through off your projected eff. if they have done this.

[...]

--- Begin Message --- It makes great battery boxes, We use it fro the battery box floor in "Gone Postal". Dave Cloud builds whole cars from it. It is just wonderful stuff. It is available from Boeing Surplus if Dave hasn't beaten you to it :-)

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Living near Seattle you should have aircraft
surplus yards you may be able to get slightly
defective or other fairly cheap. But new they are
$200-$500/4'x8' sheet. More if carbon fiber.

Boeing Surplus is a WONDERFUL place...

Okay, I got a chance to pull out the motor armature this evening. It was the first time I got to see the insides of my motor, and I must say I found it impressive!

I'm glad I bought two new bearings, because upon removing the armature I discovered that _both_ the front and rear bearings in my motor have been oozing. :-( I tried again to remove the bearings but was unsuccessful. Both the main and comm-end bearings are tightly pressed onto the motor shaft. For the next try I'm going to rent a puller from the auto parts store and see if that'll help.

I won't have a chance to do this until Sunday, as I'm going to Houston for the next few days to, among other things, help my uncle get his old cheese-wedge (aka. CitiCar) out of storage and operational again! :-)

Oh, and one last thing... I noticed that the tops of some of the coils in my motor appear to have "bubbles" on them. This concerns me, because I fear that the enamel coating had gotten too hot.

Pictures are here: ( http://www.driveev.com/temp/adcapart/ ). The "bubbles" can be seen best in coils5.jpg and coils6.jpg images...

-Nick
http://Go.DriveEV.com/
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 EV
---------------------------

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- As you have observed, torque is not proportional to I^2, but closer to I^1.3.
Magnetic saturation is the main effect that makes torque less than
proportional to I^2.  If you do curve fitting at various current ranges, you
will find a larger exponent will fit better at lower values of current and a
smaller exponent at higher currents.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian M. Sutin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I found a set of curves on the web for the motor I am using, the ADC X91-4001.
I have been trying to fit them with a set of smooth curves, but I do not
understand the results I get. According the my random web searches, series
motors should have T = k I^2, where T is the torque and I is the current.
What I get is a very good fit to T = k I^1.268.  Does anyone have any idea
what this is due to, and if there are better equations to explain the effect?
I muse that it could be a commutation effect of some sort, or leakage
inductance, or somesuch. Or ADC mislabeled a plot for a compound DC motor...

Brian
http://www.skewray.com/alfa

--
Brian M. Sutin, Ph.D.   Astronomical Optical Engineering and Software
Skewray Research/316 W Green St/Claremont CA 91711 USA/(909) 621-3122

Hi there!
  Doesn't look like you've gotten many responses yet,
so here goes.
If I recall, the T125s are a 6V battery.  That means 3
cells per battery.
3 cells, x 24 batteries is 72 cells.  If I did my math
correctly, you're running 144 volts.
You want to charge to around 2.65 volts per cell.
(This will vary a bit depending on temperature).
72 cells times 2.65 is 191 volts.  That is the maximum
charge.  Your charger should taper the amps down and
the voltage should rise beginning at about 180 volts
or less.

   When you're breaking in the new pack, no hard
current draws, (ie, leadfooting it) such that the pack
voltage drops below 126.  This is called reversing
cells and will shorten the life of your pack.  So take
it for short spins, increasing in length, for about 10
charge/discharge cycles.  Other people will probably
chime in with more particulars, but this is the
general framework that you'll be in.

Equalize (8 amps until all the cells give the same
specific gravity reading) about every 10 cycles.

Best to you.

--- Rush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a friend that just got a new battery pack, 24
> T-125's, we're going to put them in today. He bought
> a conversion from the EV list, a Ram -50 with a 9"
> ADC, Auburn C600 controller, K&W BC-20 charger,
> Sevcon DC-DC. Batteries were very dead...
>
> How should the pack be broken in?
>
> What should the charger be set at?
>
> Any other helpful info about the components would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rush
> Tucson AZ
> www.ironandwood.org

'92 Honda Civic sedan, 144V
                                   ____
                     __/__|__\ __
           =D-------/   -  -     \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

Hi Don & All,

I thought maybe Roy Lemur might chime in, but as Roderick & others
mentioned, Dave & Steve Cloud have used composite sheets in their vehicles
(boats, on-road, & Electrathons) many times. It's listed on their website
http://www.cloudelectric.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$U4Z1H3IAAADZBTZENUFUTIWPE
RWRJPX0?UCIDs=866086%7C881982&PRID=708876 and you're relatively close so you
might want to see what they might have for your project.

[When I lived in the Seattle area, I use to scrounge through the bins at
Boeing Surplus nearly every other weekend, but I think the Clouds had an
"inside track" and somehow managed to end up with a good amount (all?) of
anything that came in)