  1) Re: Smart Charger
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Very simple BMS
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Smart Charger
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Very simple BMS
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: very simple BMS
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Prius
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Very simple BMS
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: DC/DC
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Smart Charger
        by "Sharon Hoopes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC/DC
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Very simple BMS
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Very simple BMS ??
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Very simple BMS
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Very simple BMS ??
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: DC/DC
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: PFC Chargers...Let's hear the Positive Side!
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: DC/DC
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Ni cad charging,  Re: Very simple BMS
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Ni cad charging,  Re: Very simple BMS
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Ni cad charging, Re: Very simple BMS
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Ni cad charging,  Re: Very simple BMS
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Ship or leave - could be a free glider in Sacramento
        by John OConnor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Very simple BMS
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Ni cad charging,  Re: Very simple BMS
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Fwd: Ship or leave - could be a free glider in Sacramento
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: PFC Chargers...Let's hear the Positive Side!
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Fwd: Ship or leave - could be a free glider in Sacramento
        by John OConnor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I was going to ask the same - define how smart is smart,
and also the type of the battery, is it lead acid?

Victor

Rich Rudman wrote:
Define smart charger.....

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sharon Hoopes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Rich Rudman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: 7/17/2005 8:10:00 PM
Subject: Re: Smart Charger

From: Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EVList <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Ni cad charging,  Re: Very simple BMS
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:43:04 -0700 (PDT)

--- jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> They need 110% replaced if fully charged before discharged.
>
>      While this is cool and even prefered for 4 out of
> 5 charges to reduce watering, lower power needed to
> charge, they must be fully charged to 1.65v/cell about
> every 5th charge to stay in balance, cap if used
> often. if not used every other day then you need the
> higher charging more often.

My assumptions;
- I have all night to charge
- My cells, Marathons, are probably full at 1.5 volts (for now at least)
- I don't want to water any more than I have to
- aggressive charging equals more watering
- I probably can't afford either a watering system or sophisticated BMS

So, what do you need for the final phase? Suppose I detect a high enough voltage (~1.5/cell) or high temperature (going into runaway) and go into second phase of charging. If I have the time, can I just let them boil at a low rate to finish the charge and balance out? Or do they need a
fairly aggressive rate to balance? Is it time or rate?

Thanks

Dave Cover

      Hi Dave and All,

--- Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > They need 110% replaced if fully charged before
> discharged.
> >
> >      While this is cool and even prefered for 4
> out of
> > 5 charges to reduce watering, lower power needed
> > charge, they must be fully charged to 1.65v/cell
> about
> > every 5th charge to stay in balance, cap if used
> > often. if not used every other day then you need
> the
> > higher charging more often.
>
> My assumptions;
> - I have all night to charge
> - My cells, Marathons, are probably full at 1.5
> volts (for now at least)

   No they are not and will go out of balance, die if
you keep doing that.

> - I don't want to water any more than I have to
> - aggressive charging equals more watering
> - I probably can't afford either a watering system
> or sophisticated BMS
>
> So, what do you need for the final phase? Suppose I
> detect a high enough voltage (~1.5/cell) or
> high temperature (going into runaway) and go into

     Those plus a timer would be great though I'd go
to a higher voltage of about 1.6v/c.
     Then turn off for your average charge. Then more
every 3-5 charges to 1.65/cell.
      As you learn your batts, you'll be able to
estimate the time needed to set the timer.
      I use to use my batt for 4-7 days before
charging them to cut watering. That gave me 5-6 or so
trips to the store which I used it for mostly.

> second phase of charging. If I have the time,
> can I just let them boil at a low rate to finish the
> charge and balance out? Or do they need a

   Fast or slow, as long as you put 110% back in at
least every 3-5 charges. Undercharge the other times
to keep watering low. There is no reason to have to
water more than 1/month if charging correctly.

> fairly aggressive rate to balance? Is it time or
> rate?

   Amount!!
                  HTH's,
                      Jerry Dycus

> Thanks
>
> Dave Cover

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Hello All,

I am in need of advice.

Currently in Sacramento Ca, I am smack in the middle
to converting my Nissan pickup. However I have
accepted a job in Holyoke Mass. Now I need to decide
if I want to ship the truck, or leave it here and
start fresh on the east coast.

So far I have removed all ICE components and
disassembled the dash, and un-loomed most of the wire
looms.

Initial quotes indicate a shipping price of about
$2,000 including the camper cap bed cover, and
ElectroAuto is in the process of making me an adapter
plate.

While almost 20 years old the vehicle has only spent 2
winters in a region that salts roads (Maine) with the
rest of the time in NC, eastern WA and CA, so other
than the needing a new paint job it is in good shape.

Leaving out the sentimental factor of having driven
this truck for close to 20 years, it seems that it
makes sense to leave it here in CA, if I can get a
replacement donor in Mass for about $1,000.

Anyone willing to hazard a guess as to the possibility
of finding a suitable donor in Western/Central Mass?

If I decide not to ship it, there would be a free
glider available in Sacramento, and I'll be willing
make a deal on an EA adapter plate!!!

Interesting....
It looks like voltage detect works very well on the THESE NiCds....

Hummm

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro

> > NiCADs  NEED a amp counter .... or some way to detect voltage peaking
and
> > the start of thermal runaway.
> Well true, however I have not seen much of a voltage "saddle" (drop,
> then rise) on these cells, just a voltage ramp up past 1.6 volts when
> "over full". I monitor temp, but they don't seem to get warm at "over
> full" either.
>
> > Looking across a cell at voltage, is not going to tell you much unless
you
> > know what you took out, how much has been put back in and weather the
Cell
> > temp is steady or climbing .
> So far these flooded Safts are kind of weird. I've watched them charge
> and discharge using the E-meter and dumping the results every second to
> a laptop. With Excel and pivot table it looks like they come up to 1.3
> volts fast, then 1.4 volts, then sit at 1.40-1.49 volts for the bulk
> charge. About the time the AH counter hits zero they start climbing to
> 1.5 volts, then thru 1.6 volts very quickly.
>
> Not the same profile as say sintered plate or Prismatic NiMH cells.
>
> Chris

--- jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > They need 110% replaced if fully charged before discharged.

I'm getting there, albeit slowly. I'm trying to understand if I can set up a
charging process
that's as close to plug-and-play as possible. (Unless there's a magic wire I
can hook from my
Emeter to a PFC.)

So here's a made-up scenario to help me understand. Is this more like it?

Let's assume 44AH pack, running them down to 90% DOD = 40 AH taken out.
Charging 110% means 44AH going back in. (Pretend these are close enough.)

So I can charge at 10 amps for 3.5 hours and then taper down to 1 amp for
another 9 hours?

Do they gas less at lower rates?

If I only run 38AH out of them and then apply the same charge as above, what
happens?
Overkill or battery kill?

Thanks

Dave Cover

--- John OConnor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am in need of advice.
>
> While almost 20 years old the vehicle has only spent 2
> winters in a region that salts roads (Maine) with the

John, a couple of points;

- You may never find $1000 vehicle around here without any rust.
- You've done half the work already, and that can be the worst/dirtiest part of
the job.
- Is your new employer providing any moving expense?
- There may not be as many EVers out here, but you won't be alone. I'm about an
hour from Holyoke
and I'm pretty sure there are others even closer. (Bob R, who's up that way?)

When are you going to be out this way?

Dave Cover

ProEV [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> We started the weekend using the team's generator. This was a
> Honda 5000. It was rated 5.0 kW peak and 4.5 kW continuous.
> We plugged the PFC50 into the 240 volt 30 amp plug and
> adjusted the current limit dial so that we were charging the
> pack at about 330 volts and 12 amps. This works out to be
> about 4.0 kW but beyond this load the gas motor began to
> knock and splutter. Generators seem to be rated a little
> optimistically.

Your generator was rated fairly accurately; you just forgot that your
charger is not 100% efficient.

330V @ 12A = 3960W (3.96kW) output.  At 90% efficiency, the input power
is 4400W (4.4kW).  Add to this the fact that while the PFC's power
factor is quite good, it still isn't perfect, and you were probably
running the genset right at or just over its rated output.

Dave points out what I figured would be a problem -
rust.

However, even if I can get the vehicle to MA cheaply
via my relocation package, we will be renting for a
while and I am somewhat concerned about dealing with a
non-operational vehicle while renting. If I store it
until we buy a house then those dollars will begin to
add up.

Do you Northeast converters "import" your donors, do
you just have to be patient and wait for the right
candidate, or just pay more for a relatively rust free
vehicle?

As for timing, I'll be a New Englander again in
September.

The more I think about it the more I think there will
be a free glider available in Sacramento.

John