  1) Re: Battery de-sulfation
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Bi-directional charging
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Drive thru car show, or "scolding at the DQ"
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Prius Conversion?
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Hall-Effect tach sensor
        by "Grigg. John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) charging fumes in garage
        by Lance Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: No messages Again
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  8) test
        by toltec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Battery de-sulfation
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: No messages Again
        by Don Buckshot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) If you want motorcycle range this is what you have to do.
 12) Re: No messages Again
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Hybrid Pickup Continued
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Ping
 15) Re: Ping
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: charging fumes in garage
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) test ignore
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Prius Conversion?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Woodburn Event
        by "acid_lead" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) test - no emails since Friday
        by "EAA-contact" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Fwd: Correct AGM charging (was: A timer on PFC chargers)
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 22) RE: Solectria S-10 conversion on ebay
        by "Jeff Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Conversions with MagnaCharge ports?
        by "Jeff Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) What to do with excess regen power
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: What to do with excess regen power
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: What to do with excess regen power
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Orbitals made in Spain?
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) List Down?
        by Electro Automotive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Tailshaft use.
 30) Charging in the heat
        by Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 31) Re: Battery de-sulfation
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 32) soldering nicads?
        by Duncan Orthner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 33) Re: Prius Conversion?
 34) Woodburn 2005 T-shirts
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 35) Electric Time Car Rentals
 36) Emergency brake idea
 37) Re: Battery de-sulfation
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 38) Re: Prius Conversion?
        by Ben Apollonio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 39) Iota as DC/DC for 144v and higher.
 40) Super Capacitors and Li-Ion pack in parallel
        by "Peter Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Danny Miller wrote:
> This SLA hasn't been sitting really, it's just been through like
> 100 or more deep discharges and is more than 5 yrs old. Worn out.

Well, there are many ways a battery can "wear out". Before you start any
R&R proceedures, it would help to quantify exactly what is wrong with
it. Don't start treatment until you diagnose the disease. :-)

100 deep discharges on an automotive SLI battery is guaranteed worn out;
they are only good for a few dozen cycles. But 100 cycles on a golf cart
battery is just broken in; they are good for 700 or more cycles.

> So my plan here is:
> Note battery temp.
> Put it on my power supply until it floats to 14.8v and is down to
> a few mA of draw.

Unless it is low on water or suffering from excessive grid corrosion, it
will never get down to a few ma at 14.8v. A flooded battery in perfect
shape will "bottom out" around 1 amp per 100 amphours of rated capacity
at 14.8v and 72 deg.C. An AGM will be lower; it will "bottom out" at
around 250ma per 100 amphours of capacity. Both these currents rise as
the battery ages or gets hotter.

> Discharge it through maybe a 5 amp load until it gets down to 10.5v.
> That will probably need to be a headlight, which is sadly not a
> constant current device but should be a fair test as long as we
> always use it as the load. Note time.

Actually, it is a more constant load than a plain resistor. "Official"
tests are at constant current, but the variations you get with a
headlight or resistive load are not enough to matter.

> Recharge on power supply again.

Be sure you have a consistent proceedure for deciding when it is "full".
If you don't, variations in how "full" you got it will affect the
amphours you get on your discharge tests.

A good proceedure is "charge until the current stops falling". Second
best is "charge until the current falls under X amps (where you'll have
to decide what X is, and stick with it). Third best is "blindly charge
for X hours". This leads to variable amounts of overcharging, and so
variations on the subsequent discharge test.

> Put it on my pinging circuit for a day or two. Recharge on power
> supply. Repeat discharge test, same procedure.
> Recharge, come back in a couple of weeks (maybe put it back into
> service?). Put back on charger, repeat discharge test.
>
> Sound credible?  Anything else you'd want to see?

No; that's the basics if all you have is one battery to test.

Be aware that until you debug your charge/discharge hardware, you'll see
variations in capacity on every charge cycle, even if you don't make any
deliberate changes. These variations can hide any potential benefits. So
it's important to do several charge/discharge cycles until you get
nearly the same results every time, and have an idea what "normal"
variations are.
--
*BE* the change that you wish to see in the world.
        -- Mahatma Gandhi

Noel P. Luneau wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Does anyone know of a bi-directional charger (other than AC Propulsion)
> that one can use to supply power from your EV to the house in the event
> of a power outage?  We also have Solar power to use in charging the EV.
>
> AC Propulsion's AC-150 Gen 2 is a little expensive for my budget.

High DC voltage inverters are not common, and the ones that do exist are
rather expensive. "Exeltech" is one brand I recall.

A motor-generator setup is an easy, low-tech, do-it-yourself method.
Your EV already has the motor; you just need to add an AC generator of
the desired capacity. A plain old AC induction motor can be used in a
pinch, with some capacitors across the AC line so it sees a capacitive
load.
--
*BE* the change that you wish to see in the world.
        -- Mahatma Gandhi

--- Begin Message --- I've been in Portland all week attending the Open Source Convention by day, and providing computer tech support to John Wayland by night. The dark ages have finally ended with John's slow dialup replaced with a cable modem and wireless access.

Having exhausted support opportunities at his house we hopped in the Meanie and took a short trip to help a coworker solve a software installation issue. 7 miles, several industrial accident stories, and a PFC enhanced charge later we pull out of the driveway. John stops at the end of the block and digs thru his wallet looking for ice cream money. 5 minutes later John's coworker is still standing in his driveway watching us, doubtlessly wondering if John has finally broken the car. "Should I punch it?" John asks.

   "I wou.." is all I get out before John floors it.

John's cellphone rings, its his coworker laughing. "Ya know.. my neighbor is a police sergent, and he's home right now.... But don't worry, he'd never suspect that quiet little car. "

Next stop is the local Dairy Queen. Despite leaving the neighborhood two miles behind the smell of burnt rubber is still lingering. We order Blizzards at the speaker box. The line is crawling ahead, and we are next in line for the window when a gentlemen steps out of the store.
   "Nice car," giving John a thumbs up.

   "Its electric"

   "Really..."

The Honda ahead is still at the window as John jumps out and opens the hood. A small crowd gathers, asking about range, performance and whether it still has a gas engine tucked away.

John leaves the hood propped open and runs around the back to showoff the sliding battery tray. The Honda has now pulled away from the drive thru window leaving a large empty space. John is still in back chatting with the crowd enjoying his impromptu car show and I am still trying not to act mortified.

   A serious looking DQ manager opens the door: "Is there a problem here?"

   "Ah no, just showing everyone my electric car" replies John.

"We need to get this line moving." she says before retreating back inside.

After a pause John closes up the car and pulls up to the window. Now most people having just held up a line of half a dozen cars, and having been chewed out by the manager of a Dairy Queen might be inclined to tone down their behavior...

"Its pretty quiet huh." (John tried this last night with cashier, with little success)

   She leans out the window: "I can't even hear it"

   "Its electric..."

Hello,

I have a 2001 Prius that has had a total engine failure at 80,000 Miles. The
body is in good shape. Seems like an ideal EV conversion candidate!

Has anybody ever converted a Prius?

So now I'm trying to decide if I should have it fixed, or convert it to a
complete EV. If I do convert it and use it as a replacement for
its original mission, I'll need at least 120 mile range and overnight recharge.

Is this doable? I would like to spend less then $15000 on the conversion if
possible.

Or I could forget my pipe dream, sell this guy and buy a $2K gas car. But that
would be such a bummer. :(

What should I do?!

Thanks!

Hi All, I'm putting together a Tach sensor for my Zilla.  I bought the
normal tach sensor that is used on ADC motors but I don't have the
proper clearances needed on my 11" Kostov.  I need a suggestions for
what diodes that I need.

   In the white paper for MLX90217 Hall-Effect Cam Sensor it says "In
severe cases it may be necessary to include a Zener diode to clamp
positive interference and Schottky diodes to clamp negative excursions."
It is shown on Page 5 - Severe Environment and Automotive Protection
Circuit.

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Melexis%20Web%20Data/MLX90217.pdf

John Grigg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and
privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of
this email (or any attachments
thereto) by other than the County of Sacramento or the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately
and permanently
delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have a typical American two story wood framed house built in 1988. The
interior walls are drywall (paper Gysum board). There is a gas fired water
heater, and gas fired furnace with air conditioning ductwork, gas fired clothes
dryer in the garage.  There is an electric garage door opener at ceiling
height, many miscelaneous electric outlets, circuit breaker boxes, and small
appliances.  There are two supply screened air vents at foundation level on the
outside wall.
There are two bedrooms above the garage.  I can smell gas fumes from my old
60s-70s vintage cars in the upstairs bedrooms.
 The charger is a simple consumer grade Exide model 10900  2/10/55 amp charger
starter.  It is said to be "fully automatic maintenance and deep cycle". There
is a switch to select either maintenance free or deep cycle sealed/gel, and
another set of switches to select amp rate.  It has a light that changes color
when the battery is charged.
When I charge the batteries on my old cars, I can sometimes smell distinct
battery charging fumes.  Are these fumes from the normal charging process or is
this from a gassing process after the battery is charged?
Then, more importantly, since I am considering a lead acid electric car
conversion, will my ev batteries also smell like this when charging, and stink
up my house?  Raise my wife's ire about our children's safety?  Is this
charging process something that should be done only with the big garage door
open?  with the car outside? in the rain? over night?
Lance Smith, Northern California, TR Spitfire project

Since I sent a message to the list last friday I have not received one
message from the list.Whats going on?                Dennis Berube

test - ignore

----- Original Message ----- From: "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Put it on my pinging circuit for a day or two. Recharge on power
supply. Repeat discharge test, same procedure.
Recharge, come back in a couple of weeks (maybe put it back into
service?). Put back on charger, repeat discharge test.

Sound credible?  Anything else you'd want to see?

What if you cut the batteries up and do your testing with de sulfater on one 1/2 and regular charging on the other .
steve clunn

Same experience here
Don

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Since I sent a message to the list last friday I have not received one message from the list.Whats going on? Dennis Berube

http://www.futureenergies.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=212
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
415-821-3519
I got this one.  The list has been quiet here too this weekend.  Summer time
and everyones off EVing leaving us high and dry hehe.  Just thought I'd let you
know peeps are recieving ya.
Cya
Jim

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Since I sent a message to the list last friday I have not received one
message from the list.Whats going on? Dennis Berube

As many of you know, and many of you have given me good advice about it, I am
slowly converting my truck to homebrew hybrid. The first step of course is to
get the body as aerdynamic as possible and the engine as fuel efficient as
possible. It's like the way you get your household as electrically efficient as
possible before installing solar panels. Inspired by a guy named Phil Knox who
radically transformed the aerodynamics of his pickup,
http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?section=article&storyid=870, I've started a
Yahoo discussion group called maxmpg.org. There's only me and one other guy on
it right now but hopefully we'll soon be growing. I've also registered the URL
www.maxmpg.org and will post my changes and the resultant mpg improvement
numbers. Thanks guys and I hope you will visit. In particular, could someone
post how to accurately determine your frontal area? I recall it has something
to do with taking a picture of the front of your vehicle and then measuring it
som!
 ehow. Could someone elaborate further? Does the angle of the windshield
matter? Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

John David

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Tap, tap, tap....is this thing on?

Nope, sorry.

David C. Wilker Jr.
United States Air Force, Retired

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- Commercially, there are hydrogen detectors and vent fans that are made specifically for battery/UPS rooms.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lance Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>