  1) Re: Battery choices Re: Alltrax 7245 controller
  2) Iota DC/DC.  What to use.
  3) Re: Meyers Motors and the Sparrow?
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Woodburn Weekend part 2
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Woodburn NEDRA Nationals
        by "Brian D.Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Electric boat on the cover of Wooden Boat magazine
        by Seth Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Woodburn NEDRA Nationals
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Woodburn NEDRA Nationals
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Crushable bumper idea?
        by "Stu or Jan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Newbe & more questions
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Meyers Motors and the Sparrow?
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) More charging issues
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: More charging issues
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Woodburn NEDRA Nationals newby report
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Woodburn NEDRA Nationals
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) White Zombie video, Re: Woodburn NEDRA Nationals
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) The Scream'n Breakfast
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Woodburn 2005!
        by Mark Dodrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Driving White Zombie
        by Tim Brehm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Thank for Ranger and solectria advice Bruce and Jeff
        by "arthur marquardt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: White Zombie video, Re: Woodburn NEDRA Nationals
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) starting to research - boat
        by "Joe askme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) EV powering a sailboat, Re: starting to research - boat
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- The EV-145 is half an inch longer and three inches higher than the SCS225. LR.............. ----- Original Message ----- From: "jerry dycus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: jerry dycus

Hi Lawrence and All,
The SCS225 is a true deep cycle battery. It's just that
it is smaller than the EV145 thus in the same app, worked harder thus
shorter life.
If you use the same lbs of batt for the same app, their
life would be little different.

The Floor sweeper batts just use 8v battery cells, just
more cells.

The above was talking about the 86 lb Trojan 5shp? and the EV145 floorsweeper maybe and not the SCS225.

If the SCS225 had the same cells as the 8V GC batteries, I would expect it
to be about the same height and width, and be about 1 1/2 times as long and
1 1/2 times as heavy ( since it would have twice the number of cells), as
well as having the same ah ratings.

           1.5x the cells or 6 instead of 4 cells.

None of these is close to true.

Or, did you mean the same plates as the 8V battery ( but fewer plates per
cell) ? But, I would think the height and width would have to be the same
as the 8 volters for that case also.

        Only the width probably.

                               HTH's,

                                    Jerry Dycus
Phil

--- Begin Message --- Roderick Wilde is using a 120v Iota (30amp version) in Gone Postal. Gone Postal is 240vdc as far as I know. Others have used the same model at lesser voltages. One person said they used the 220v Iota at 144vdc. Does it make a difference? Why are these devices working at obviously varied voltages and above and below their ratings? I'd like to pay the least amount for one of these devices. I think I can get by with 30 amps. That one is close to 100 dollars.
Lawrence Rhodes
Bassoon/Contrabassoon
Reedmaker
Book 4/5 doubler
Electric Vehicle & Solar Power Advocate
415-821-3519
             Hi Sam and All,

Sam Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So whats going on over at Meyers Motors with the Sparrow? Will we ever
see them in production again?

           Probably not as they see it as too much a risk.

 Will we ever see the Sparrow II?

        Probably as they are interested in doing a better EV and have hired
Robert Q Riley as an engineer, designer so hopefully they will come out with
something.

       They are doing repairs, mods on the present Sparrows to keep them going
and seem to be a good company. Let's wish them well even if they are a direct
competitor with me. But there is plenty of room for good 3wh EV's out there.

                                    HTH's,

                                         Jerry Dycus

-Sam

Woodburn weekend Part 2:  The car show

I awoke Saturday morning excited and eager to get to the restaurant for not
only the car show but to get some much needed food.  After staring at the
ceiling for 2 hours it was light enough to get up and get ready.  My worrying
over the twin’s was ebbing and I felt I would now able to get my eyes on the
rest of the awesome EV’s that graced the show.  This hope failed to materialize
as I found myself unable to escape the barrage of those attending the event.
The amount of interest this event generated was a huge success and I’m sure it
will bear fruit to several new EV’s owners driving the streets because they saw
it can be done!

The one thing this event and what I believe all your events lack or could be
better is a flier with a list of all the EV vendors who can help people get
there car from dream to reality.  I’m one to talk, heck I didn’t even bring
business cards, lol.  Seriously though, what would it take to get a basic
brochure with a national list of where to go to get started with basic FAQ’s?
I’m pretty good at graphics and am willing to put together a nice brochure at
which point there would be just print costs to share and everyone would have
something to hand out.  You guys drop their jaws, wet their whistle, and then
send them home where I’d bet 99% go back to life as a gasser, not knowing how
to get started.  I believe this would be a great tool to help Shepard the sheep
to the right “field”.  I’d be eager to hear any suggestions, comments, or ideas
on this and I am willing to take on this task if any are interested. With that
thought written, on with my post.

With the show winding down we all headed out to settled down at Waylands where
I heard for the first time the Zombie was ready to rock which left John being
able to socialize.  Upon arriving I was bummed to hear I missed Tim’s sideways
burnout “incident” on his way out of the parking lot. Rod got busy trying to
get the front end of GP strapped down to see if he could gain more traction.
While seeing a 4300 Lb. Vehicle boil all 4 tires half way down the track and
still reaching 85 MPH at the trap is a fun thing to watch, I’m sure it’s a lot
scarier for Rod, and he was doing all he could to put on a good show.

You could hear the Silver bullet running around the block as Keith and others
assembled an E-bike at which point my son strapped 72 volts and 81 pounds of
batteries into a broken pack Vise Gripped together and proceeded to reach what
looked like freeway speeds on this bike.  At that point Wayland shut him down
to my relief as a dad, lol.  The day slipped by with stories of legendary tails
that will no doubt still be talked about for decades.  A truly wonderful day!

Many thanks to Cheryl Wayland who fed us and once again was a gracious hostess,
as to all that attended to make it happen, it was a great fill-in event between
races.

Matt and I returned to our room early for sleep but to no avail for me, as I
couldn’t stop thinking about what 348 volts of turned up waking up Hawkers
would bring tomorrow…

Part 2 of 3

I didn't get to go this year , but , Dave Clouds car sounds awesome. 8
e-teks, 96 volts of flooded batteries, No controller ( just series /
parallel switches).14.5 and 91 mph, WOW!
Brian D. Hall

--- Begin Message --- At newsstands now. A Solar array, Etek and battery job about 30 feet long.

Officially last months issue, but still on the stands here.

Wrist is messed up so I can't write more...

Seth

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- What I found of interest was that this same car on the same weight of batteries and the same motors ran a 17.177 @ 67.77 mph on 48 volts. Although a very impressive ET and speed for the voltage it does appear that his vehicle did better at a higher voltage :-) If anyone can do it David can. He never fails to amaze me with his ingenuity!

Roderick Wilde
"Suck Amps EV Racing"
www.suckamps.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian D.Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I didn't get to go this year , but , Dave Clouds car sounds awesome. 8
e-teks, 96 volts of flooded batteries, No controller ( just series /
parallel switches).14.5 and 91 mph, WOW!
Brian D. Hall

Woodburn Part 3

Sunday morning found Matt and I waking late and missing the Wayland caravan.
After fueling up on coffee and donuts we tailed it down to Woodburn where we
found we beat the group there.  In short order most of the EV’s were charging
up for their first runs of the day.   Matt somehow talked Rod into riding his
E-Chopper, which he did all day long.  Many thanks again Rod, as it was the
highlight of his trip.

Most of the day was good racing by all.  Father Time seemed a bit bummed with
his take off’s and not getting his little 12 volt motor to rev faster, but then
again he may have been thinking about his lazyboy race coming up, lol.

I told Rod in person but I’d like it posted that there should be much praise
for Rod taking GP down to show and race with last minute patches and coming
knowing he had a limping motor.  Thanks also to the one who lent the zilla
allowing this to happen as I had not seen GP in person (which I enjoyed) and it
would have been an even lighter showing had GP not been there.

White zombie was a sight to see all day, and the effort that was put into her
by all was rewarded with a great showing.  The last run brought an EMF
flash-over that melted an eraser size hole in one brush holder and vaporizing
the brush spring closest to the arc area.  I have reviewed the tape several
times and it clearly shows that after the burn out Motor Opp’s (AKA Matt of
Hi-torque) gave a no-go for flight after seeing the flash-over, at which point
mission control (AKA John “break it” Wayland) overrode the warning and giving a
go for throttle-up.  The resulting run ended with a 104:14 run with only 15 of
the 16 brushes making contact.  The lack of brush tension caused a bit of
arcing on the rear motor comm. but did not appear to have burnt the armature to
hard.  I’ll know more after getting my baby back from that mean man Wayland.
I’ll report what I find as soon as I get the twins apart.

All in all I was pleasantly pleased with how the motors performed and feel that
the twin design is a viable way to attack multiple motor set-ups.  I’ll be
working with Keith at Dutchman motorsports, Madman, Rod, and of course John
Wayland as well as, I’m sure, many others to develop motors aimed at individual
needs for both racers and daily drivers alike.

Although there is so much more to report it has all become a blur and I’m
trying to keep these posts to a readable length.  I’d like to end this with a
huge thank you to all that attended, for making the Hi-Torque boys feel like
family.  Driving home though I couldn’t help but wonder where I was going to
get the time and money to do half the things I have in my head…

Thanks for listening

Richard,

Do you have any figures on how much force would it take to crush 60 beer
cans end-to-end?

BoyntonStu