  1) Re: Alternator for psuedo-regen (was "Re: Shunt motor regen setup")
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Battery choices
        by jerry dycus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: "Low Speed Vehicle"
        by "Rick Barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Alternator for psuedo-regen (was "Re: Shunt motor regen setup")
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) My Photos, Wayland Invitational & Woodburn
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Siamese 8 Motor Post-racing Update
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: IT'S ALL GOOD / Siamese up-date
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: ADC 9inch troubleshooting
        by Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Help with battery wiring, avoid looping back
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Help with battery wiring, avoid looping back
        by "Mark McCurdy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Alternator for psuedo-regen (was "Re: Shunt motor regen setup")
        by "Nick 'Sharkey' Moore" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EV Feeding Frenzy
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Help with battery wiring, avoid looping back
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) was Another Newbie - delurking /-Abaptor plate.
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Driving White Zombie
        by Ryan Stotts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: cheap, simple  EV's    Re: EV Feeding Frenzy
        by Justin Southam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Driving White Zombie
        by Tim Brehm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: was Another Newbie - delurking /-Abaptor plate.
        by "STEVE CLUNN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Motor arrived today!
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EMF flashover    was   White Zombie Fireball Graph
        by "Joe Smalley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) A Weekend at the EV Drags (really long)
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On 2005-09-07, Lee Hart wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > What would an ~90% efficient Etek/Lemco style, direct drive, PM motor
> > do during regen for % efficiency?
>
> The efficiency is basically the same whether used as a motor or a
> generator.

But, of course, a PM direct-drive motor has voltage proportional to RPM,
so it is tricky to get regen at the voltage you need to recharge the
batteries.

Say you've got two 24V batteries in series powering an Etek.  You
accelerate up to the full speed of 48V * 72RPM/volt = 3456RPM.
If you try to slow down using regen braking, the motor will generate
a maximum of 3456RPM / 72RPM/volt = 48V ... not enough to
charge your batteries unless you're rolling fast enough
to drive your motor beyond its normal maximum RPM and steep enough
to keep doing so.  Not going to happen often.

I was thinking of using a series/parallel setup.  If you accelerate
up to full speed in "series", then shift to "parallel", you'll have
(up to) 48V at the motor available to charge your now 24V battery.
By PWMming the regen current you should get nice controllable
decelleration.

You should be able to get some kind of charging down to maybe 28V ==
2016RPM ... that's just under 2/3 of your kinetic energy being
available in any case.  A more sophisitimicated 3-speed version
with 6 batteries (or 4-speed with 12 batteries) would give you
more benefits.

Of course, if you've got one of those new-fangled gearboxes in the
drivetrain, you can downshift and overrev the motor that way ...

-----Nick
--
Nick 'Sharkey' Moore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://zoic.org/sharkey/>
AUSTIN, TEXAS: Sabrina, 6, was abducted by her non-custodial mother on

               Hi David, Lawrence and All,

David Roden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The SCS225 is not a high current battery. It was designed for trolling
motors at a 25 amp load.

According to BCI specs, an SCS225 should deliver only 300 80% cycles at such
a load (25 amps). Even if your EV requires only 25 amps at cruise (a very
efficient EV), cycle life will still be only 300. You'll get a year's worth

       Most batts constantly loaded to 80% discharge will have short life as
you shouldn't use then past 50% discharge for long life and at that you will
get many more cycles out of them. The problem with these batts is people use
too few of then with only a 20% vehicle weight in batts and wonder why they
die. He was talking 72vdc I think  which would be 6 in a Rabbit!!!   Just not
good.

of use - if you're lucky. Its life will be pitifully short at higher
currents and/or at high temperatures. I've seen similar batteries choke in
,

           Similar doesn't cut it, either the same or it doesn't count as you
well know.

a summer's worth of use in an early Solectria Force (180 amps peak).

OTOH, the 5SHP and EV-145 are higher current batteries, with construction
similar to golf car batteries. Even with everything else being equal, they
will last at least twice as long. Here's what Nawaz Qureshi, US Battery
electrochemist, said about the EV-145 in 1999:

"USBMC's EV-145 uses rectangular grids, just like all of the other "jumbo"
deep cycle products from all manufacturers of good batteries. On the bench
test the USBMC's EV-145 will go from 650 to 1000 BCI cycles."

           And I said that's more what he should use or the 5shp's or buddy
pair the SCS200- SCS225's for about the same cost. That we should match the
batt to the load. I really don't see a difference in what we are saying other
than your knocking a batt that's being overloaded as I said.

           As buddy paired SCS200's cost about the same as the EV145/5SHP with
more lead, I'd bet they would have as good or better life and diffinently more
power, range at the same voltage.

                                                            Jerry Dycus

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

Note: mail sent to the "from" address above may not reach me. To
send me a private message, please use evdl at drmm period net.

"Low Speed Vehicles" are purposely limited to no more than 25 MPH, and most
states only allow use on streets posted 35 MPH or less. This make sense,
otherwise you would hold up traffic. The reason for the special class is
they are not built to meet the safety standards of regular high speed
on-road vehicles. They get a "pass" because they go slower. They are not
crash tested. They are basically really well built golf cars.

LSV's are ideally suited for urban and downtown areas, where all the streets
are 25 MPH.

Please check this link, and read carefully. Everything is explained:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/lsv/lsv.html

If you modify an LSV to go faster or alter the registration you may be
breaking the law and you are putting yourself and others in jeopardy.

Rick Barnes
Former LSV Owner

On 2005-09-07, Danny Miller wrote:
> A DC/DC converter can boost the voltage to charge a 48v battery.
> However such converters are a bit on the complicated side and extremely
> high power inductors are far more pricey than just the high current
> transistors which are the major component of a PWM voltage-lowering
> strategy.

Ummm, oh, yeah, I should have mentioned that.  If you've got a DC-DC
boost converter handy, use that!  There's an efficiency hit there
too though, which is why the series/parallel switch idea appealed to
me ...

-----Nick

John G. Lussmyer wrote:

> At 12:09 PM 9/7/2005, Lee Hart wrote:
> >But I was thinking of something much smaller. A CitiCar done right. Not
> >"luxurious", but good by today's standards. Try to avoid high-priced
> >automotive parts, and look at trailers, golf carts, and other more
> >economical vehicles for parts sources.
>
> i.e. more like a Geo Metro?

Possibly, but Metro parts are not all that cheap or easy to get. At
least around here, they are mostly gone off the roads.
--
*BE* the change that you wish to see in the world.
        -- Mahatma Gandhi

Hey Jeff,

In the picture you seem to have your most negative and most positive ends of the battery pack right next to each other. I don't know where they'll end up in the car, but you want to make sure that these terminals are far apart, or placed such that nothing can touch them both at the same time (on opposite sides of a wall, for instance).

But you know that, so perhaps I'm misinterpreting something.

On Sep 7, 2005, at 12:28 PM, Jeff Shanab wrote:

[...]

Bend, OR, USA
http://learn-something.blogsite.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>