  1) Re: Need 48v Charger Advise
        by "Dmitri Hurik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Battery charging in only 5 minutes
        by "Dmitri Hurik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Small Bad Dumb Charger (was: RE: Big ...)
        by "Christopher Tromley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV digest 5196
        by "Tim Clevenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Trains and Power setups
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Battery charging in only 5 minutes
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Has anyone tried switching thru series strings of small AGMs to
maximize range?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) new member
        by "randy gardner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Has anyone tried switching thru series strings of small AGMs to
maximize range?
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Shunts
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EVs Knock Down two 1st & one 3rd Place Trophies at Rod & Custom Show!
        by "John Westlund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: OT: major breakthrough in photovoltaics claimed
        by Ken Trough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: White Zombie to Elude the Police this Saturday!
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: new member
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Battery charging in only 5 minutes
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Shunts
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: new member
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: new member
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Battery charging in only 5 minutes
        by "Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Shunts
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Battery charging in only 5 minutes
        by "Philippe Borges" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Dean Kamen's sterling generator,Govenators green website & Robert Q Riley
You can get one for about $50

http://www.poweridestore.com/Hub-Motor-Acces/Battery-Chargers/48V-SLA-Battery-Charger

This guy should also have, but looks like he just redesigned his site and doesn't have it listed yet.
http://www.eco-riders.com/
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Trains and Power setups
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 11:29:51 -0500

   I'll bet Metro Link uses the fairly standard Head End Power setup that
Amtrak seems to have set the standard: 480 volts 60 hz

Hello Bob,

I hope I don't scare you in how much these Power Anderson plugs cost right
from the factory.  Not wholesale or even retail.   The ones we used were 480
volt 3-phase 4 wire with two control pins that operated a size 4 contactors
that ran 80 hp motors.

These receptacles assemblies which include a female plug that is house in a
cast aluminum housing that includes a contactor, control transformer,
circuit breakers and control console ran about $8000.00 completely assemble.

We opt to buy these units pre-assemble which cut the price to half!! by
using Hoffman Nema 12 enclosures, Square D size 4 contactors, transformer,
circuit breakers and control switches and only bought the power plugs with
plug housing from Power Anderson for about $1000.00.

The Power Anderson plug which is a large 4 inch in diameter and 16 inches
long with a molded on 50 foot 4 wire 4/0 2-inch diameter cable was another
$2000.00!!!

My EV the Transformer I was charge with a similar type of plug back at EFP
that came right off a large pad mounted charging station.

          From: Remy Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     2. Governor's Green California Website
          From: Remy Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     3. Robert Q. Riley Enterprises
          From: Remy Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Message: 1
  Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:37:12 -0500
  From: Remy Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dean Kamen's electricity for the world's poor

From:
http://business2.blogs.com/business2blog/2006/02/dean_kamens_lat.html#more
via: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/02/dean_kamen_sequ.php

Dean Kamen's Newest Slingshot

Originally uploaded by Allen Ra. (Below is a longer version of a
CNNMoney.com column I just wrote on Dean Kamen's latest inventions: two
machines that can produce clean water and electricity for the world's poor.
It includes some details about his frustrations with the World Bank and UN
that were cut for space):

Dean Kamen, the engineer who invented the Segway, is puzzling over a new
kind of equation these days.  An estimated 1.1 billion people in the world
don't have access to clean drinking water, and an estimated 1.6 billion don't
have electricity.

The numbers may be daunting, but Kamen thinks he can help solve these twin
Goliath problems. "I thought the moral of the David and Goliath story was
this little guy won because he had a really neat piece of technology," says
Kamen.  In other words, it wasn't David who brought down Goliath.  It was
the slingshot.

Kamen's slingshots are a pair of machines he's invented-each about the size
of a washing machine -that can provide power and clean water in rural
villages.

"If you could take all the diseases you could name,  80 percent would be
wiped out if you just gave people clean water," says Kamen. "This [water
purifier] makes 1,000 liters of clean water a day, and we don't care what
goes into it.  And that [power generator] makes a kilowatt off of anything
that burns."

Entrepreneurial power

Kamen is not alone in his quest.  He's been joined by Iqbal Quadir, the
founder of Grameen Phone, the largest cell phone company in Bangladesh. Last
year, Quadir took prototypes of Kamen's power machines to two villages in
his home country for a six-month field trial.  The trial, which ended last
September, sold Quadir on the technology. "This is a reliable machine," he
says.

In fact, Quadir thinks it is reliable enough that he is negotiating to
license the technology from Kamen through a startup called Emergence Energy
in Cambridge, Mass., and is trying to raise $30 million to start producing
the power machines.

The electric generator in the power machine is based on a Stirling engine, a
clean-burning combustion engine which has long fascinated Kamen. Best of
all, it can be powered by an easily-obtained local fuel: cow dung. Each
machine produces a kilowatt of electricity.  That may not sound like much,
but it is enough for 70 energy-efficient light bulbs. As Kamen puts it, "If
you judiciously use a kilowatt, each villager can have a nighttime."

Take a look at a satellite picture of the earth at night, and you will see
whole swaths of darkness across Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Africa. For the people living there, a simple light bulb would mean an extension of
both productive and leisure hours.  In fact, some of the villagers in the
trial in Bangladesh used the electricity to power TVs that they were
previously juicing off car batteries.

The real invention here, though, may be the economic model that Kamen and
Quadir hope to use to distribute the machines.  It is fashioned after
Grameen Phone's business, where village entrepreneurs (mostly women) are
given micro-loans to purchase a cell phone and service. The women, in turn,
charge other villagers to make calls.

"We have 200,000 rural entrepreneurs who are selling telephone services in
their communities," notes Quadir: "The vision is to replicate that in
electricity."

During the trial in Bangladesh, Kamen's Stirling machines created three
entrepreneurs in each village: one to run the machine and sell the
electricity, one to collect dung from local farmers and sell it to the first
entrepreneur, and a third to lease out light bulbs (and presumably, in the
future, other appliances) to the villagers.

"I don't like the charitable model," says Quadir.  "Poor countries are
supposedly poor because they have a scarcity of capital.  So if there is a
scarcity of capital," he reasons, "you should find an efficient way to spend
it."  The most efficient way he can think of is through capitalism.

Kamen thinks the same approach can work with his water-cleaning machine,
which he calls-there's David and Goliath again-the Slingshot. While the
Slingshot wasn't part of Quadir's trial in Bangladesh, Kamen thinks it can
be distributed the same way. "In the 21st century, water will be delivered
at the point of use by an entrepreneur," predict Kamen.

The Slingshot works by taking in contaminated water, even raw sewage, and
separating out the clean water by vaporizing it.  It then shoots the
remaining sludge back out a plastic tube.  Kamen thinks it could be paired
with the power machine and run off its waste heat.

Cold reception in Washington

Before Kamen met Quadir, he took his inventions to places like the United
Nations and the World Bank, part of whose stated goals are to improve access
to power and water in the world's poorest nations.  He says he met nothing
but skepticism among the experts who told him there were much cheaper and
better ways to make power and clean water. He describes these encounters as
"the most chilling meetings I ever had in Washington."

During one such encounter, Kamen lost his cool and blurted out: "Okay, you've
had 60 years and spent $1 trillion on these two issues.  Can you point to
the places where you are proud of the success you've had?" The meeting didn't
get much farther than that.

Says Kamen, "If you are going to wait for governments or NGOs
[non-governmental organizations] to change the world, it is going to take
another 60 years."

Jamal Saghir, the World Bank's director of energy and water, says he is
unaware of any meetings that might have taken place with Kamen. "We get a
lot of requests from inventors to endorse their products," says Saghir. "The
World Bank does not support proprietary technology.  We support developing
country governments and empower them to make choices."

What Kamen is really railing against, though, is the conventional wisdom
that governments need to build huge, centralized power plants or water
sanitation facilities to economically address the problems at hand.  That
centralized approach might result in a lower cost per kilowatt or per clean
liter of water, but it also requires a lot of capital, a lot of expertise,
and a lot of pipes and wires.

His approach, by contrast, has the virtue of simplicity. He even created an instruction sheet to go with each Slingshot. It contains one step: Just add
water, any water.  Step two might be: add an entrepreneur.

"Not required are engineers, pipelines, epidemiologists, or
microbiologists," says Kamen.  "You don't need any -ologists.  You don't
need any building permits, bribery, or bureaucracies."

The price of freedom

Still, even if some of the technical challenges have been solved ("I know
the technology works and I'd fall on my sword to prove it," insists Kamen),
the economic challenges still loom.

Kamen's goal is to produce machines that cost $1,000 to $2,000 each. That's a far cry from the $100,000 that each hand-machined prototype cost. Quadir
cautions that a lot more trials and work is necessary: "The price of the
machines will dictate at what cost we can sell electricity." But nobody-not
him, not Kamen- really knows yet what it will cost to mass-produce the
machines.

Quadir would like to find out by setting up a factory in Bangladesh. If the
economics work out, not only does he think that the decentralized approach
will be good business.  He also thinks it will be good public policy.
Instead of putting in a 500-megawatt power plant in a developing country, he
argues, it would be much better to place 500,000 one-kilowatt power plants
in villages all over the place because then you would create 500,000
entrepreneurs.

"Isn't that better for democracy?" Quadir asks.  "We see a shortage of
democracy in the world, and we are surprised.  If you strengthen the
economic hands of people, you will foster real democracy."

Lights, water, freedom-that would be some slingshot

Posted by Erick Schonfeld on Feb 16 at 10:31 AM in Innovation & Startups,
Politics & Policy | Permalink

Comments
I met Iqbal Quadir several times now and I am fascinated by his perspective of the world. He is an amazing entrepreneur and has revolutionized telephony
in Bangladesh through his start-up Grameen Phone.

His strength is connecting the disconnected in order to create change. Again
he is attempting to connect local entrepreneurship with the basic need of
energy! I wrote about Iqbal (though not Dean) on my blog:

http://business-model-design.blogspot.com/2005/10/innovative-business-model-design.html

I am totally convinced that this project will have a much bigger impact than
most of the projects the World Bank has come up with for the simple reason
that they don't totally embrace local ownership of responses to development
issues!

Posted by: Alex Osterwalder | Feb 16, 2006 5:05:49 PM

I love the way Mr. Kamen thinks and the significant world problems he would
like to fix such as the water and electricity .I ran filtration
companies,started my own filter company,created machines to remove arsenic
from water,developed and patented filter making machine so I know
if Kamen stays with it he will suceed in coming up with a disruptive
technology to give
anybody clean safe drinking water.

Message: 2
  Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:55:44 -0500
  From: Remy Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Governor's Green California Website

From:
http://www.green.ca.gov/newsevents.htm

February 8, 2006

SCHWARZENEGGER ADMINISTRATION UNVEILS
"GREEN CALIFORNIA" WEB SITE

SACRAMENTO - Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's administration today unveiled a sweeping new "Green California" Web site, based on his vision of an energy
efficient and environmentally friendly California.

http://www.green.ca.gov
green@ dgs.ca.gov

The new Web site is filled with ideas, guidelines, reference materials,
engineering data and environmentally friendly purchasing information to
assist state and local government agencies and California businesses with
the shift toward environmental sustainability, energy conservation and the
reduction of landfill waste.

"We believe this new Web site will become the primary "go to" site - the
new, centralized, electronic reference library - for engineers, architects,
building managers, contractors, purchasing agents and other business and
government officials and environmentalists in their quest for a Green
California,'" said State and Consumer Services Agency Secretary Rosario
Marin. "It will be a constantly expanding resource, as more and more links, Web pages and data are added. We believe it will demonstrate with facts and
figures that environmentally smart business decisions can also save big
bucks, while making life healthier for all of us."

The site, www.green.ca.gov, is focused primarily on two broad areas. It
provides, in a single location, vital reference materials for the design,
construction, benchmarking and operation of "green buildings." It also
provides government and business purchasing officials with detailed
information on environmentally friendly products and services, such as
office supplies, paper products, office machines, vehicle supplies, building
materials, medical supplies, etc.

In a December 2004 executive order, Governor Schwarzenegger launched an
aggressive action plan to reduce California's energy purchases for the
thousands of state-owned buildings by 20 percent by 2015, while conserving
other scarce natural resources. The executive order also urged local
governments, K-12 schools, universities, community colleges and business
organizations to adopt the same ambitious goals. The new Web site provides
vital reference material and "how to do it" guidelines to implement that
vision.

The governor proposed to achieve the 20 percent energy reduction by
designing, constructing, operating and renovating state-owned buildings to
meet the high standards of the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in
Energy and Environmental Design silver rating ("LEED Silver") and by leasing
office space in buildings with a federal "Energy Star" rating - both of
which are explained on the Web site. He also directed the State Architect in
the California Department of General Services to adopt guidelines to
encourage California schools built with state funds to be resource and
energy efficient.

In the private sector, the governor pointed out that commercial buildings
use 36 percent of California's electricity and account for a large
percentage of greenhouse gas emissions, raw material consumption and waste.
By adopting the practices outlined in his executive order, Schwarzenegger
said, California could save $2 billion of the $12 billion in electricity
consumed every year by the state's commercial and institutional buildings.

California law now requires all departments of state government to practice EnvironmentalIy Preferable Purchasing (EPP), buying goods and services that
have a reduced impact on human health and the environment. The "Green
California" Web site includes a complete online version of the EPP Best
Practices Manual. Among other things, it shows officials how to write
environmental specifications into their bid solicitations.

NEWS MEDIA CALLS ONLY:
DGS Office of Public Affairs
916-376-5038
Bill Branch or Matt Bender

The Ziggurat
707 Third Street
West Sacramento, CA 95605
(916) 376-5000 Fax (916) 376-5018

Message: 3
  Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:59:55 -0500
  From: Remy Chevalier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Robert Q. Riley Enterprises

From:
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/02/please_lord_bui_1.php

December 12, 2005 - Jacob Gordon, Los Angeles, CA

As we wait for more electric vehicles, hybrids, and small, efficient cars,
as well as bemoan the execution of EVs by their very makers, we should
remind ourselves that matters can always be taken into our own hands.
Do-it-yourself car building has always enjoyed a following, but it does seem
that the 70s and 80s saw a golden age of ingenuity and innovation in DIY
jalopy workshops. I stumbled across a trove of plans for such project cars, many published in Popular Mechanics and Mechanix Illustrated, many of which
are still available for purchase. A majority of these designs strive for
high efficiency and low emissions; and talk about style! The car builders of
today have so clearly lost their way and could learn a thing or two.

Hacking your Prius is one thing, but building a "100 mpg hybrid-electric"
Towncar (lower right) from scratch is something else entirely. Volkswagen's GX3 pales in comparison to the 3-wheeled electric Trimuter (lower left), or
the Tri-Magnum (upper center). The Centurion (lower center), with its
3-cylinder diesel engine, boasts an impressive 128 mpg, and in overdrive can reach speeds of 65 mph. With bodies of fiberglass and chassis swiped from VW
and Subaru, you are sure to get a unique ride. And seeing as several of
these cars were, fittingly, extras in Total Recall, Arnold might have a soft spot in his now-even-greener heart for their future/retro design aesthetic.

+++

Robert Q. Riley Enterprises is a full-service product design and development
consultancy, specializing in transportation, recreation, fitness, and
medical products. The "DIY... Plans & Projects" area showcases the world's
finest projects that you can build from plans.  Network with others using
the "DIY Forum."  Download free software and plans.  Get technical and
how-to information on intellectual property, one-off construction
techniques, automotive design, and alternative energy technologies.

Robert Q. Riley Enterprises
P.O. Box 14465
Phoenix, AZ 85063
623-872-8010 Fax:  623-872-3476

Media Contact
Robert Q. Riley
rqriley@ rqriley.com

If you want to contribute to the ET List, you must register with Yahoo Groups and get a User Name and ID.

To unsubscribe from this group, just send an email to:

   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/